From all experiences wax on the board stays there for about one session and then is completely stripped. I remember last season in Niseko applying a good waxing to my board and a couple of days later there not being any wax at all. Not that is a bad thing. See in powder snow I think No wax is a good thing. It obviuosly doesn`t like staying there, so it leaves very quickly. I tried all temperature of waxes but all seem to disappear at the same rate.

Is wax neccessary in snow with outside temperatures of -15degrees.? eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif

Overseas wise, I`ve been to Whistler/Blackcomb and Big White. The quality of snow is what I`m looking for and it never comes to Australia like it does in nrth Japan. At -15degrees during the day the quality rarely changes from perfect. In Australia or NZ the snow almost never is good compared to Japan. In Aust` the snow turns to slush before it hits the ground. And thats why I like Japan or Niseko. My holidays there have never disappointed me , the amount of snow, the quality and the sic` powpow in the tree runs at Hanazono will always bring me back. One friend of mine from USA has been going to Niseko for the last 7 seasons, so he must have found the gold...... eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif

[This message has been edited by powpow (edited 14 November 2001).]

waxing is nessesary!!!!!

ok fluid waxes doesn't last long or damage the base!

but the process if you wax hot is diffrent!

the heat will open the little pores on the base, so the hot wax flow into them.

so a scratched base says nothing about waxing!

if you not wax, the base getting dry, you see that when it gets some grey parts on it.

ask the last years reader of this forum!!

they will remember, "waxing a snowboard is like having sex!!!!"

Quote:
Originally posted by barok:
one exception,
wax + slush = SLOW

almost but,

WAX + BRUSH = STRUCTURE IN THE BASE
STRUCTURE + SLUSH = FAST

i use to give alot of structure, all season!
and my board is allways fast! (might be about my weight too...)

I`ve been applying the wax with a hot iron, dripping in on then using the iron smear it over the entire board until a thick coating appears. Lightly file the metal edges and then go for a ride. No need to scrape the excess wax off and then go for a ride. Come back later in the afternoon and find 99% of the wax gone. Gone where, dunno. Gone. So then I start the process over again. In the whole season I only wax the board maybe five times. Applying the wax is the easy part. I just don`t know the scrapping technics and tools. eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif

pow pow, that sounds strange!

too much wax doesnt bring anything!

you have the right temperature and speed by waxing your board with the iron, when the wax is dried about 10 cm behind the iron.

make a tiny wax film all over your board.

then after waxing let the board cool down, best thing is to wax at the evening and scrap the wax of in the morning.

if you scrap the wax when it's still warm, you will take it out of the pores.

then buy a ski or snowboard scrap blade.

blades, longer than 10 centimeters doesn't bring much cause you haven't enough power to scrap all the wax with one strike!

scrap the wax from nose to tail so that you cant see any wax on your board anymore (the wax is still in the pores of the base!)

now take a brush (copper or nylon, you can buy them where you get the wax) and brush the base from nose to tail. now you have little scratches on your board (new snowboards have them usually too) they will help you to go even faster!

nowdays you can buy expensiv special snowboard waxing tools (such as wax, blades, brushes, irons) usually are those the same things like the ski waxing equipment, in just a little fancier boxes and with some nice prints. so if you can't effort the money for the snowboard tools, go for the sale, ski waxing things!

naaah,

not neccessary. . . i've seen it a

thousand times.

i'm tellin' ya - if you ride pipe in the

late late spring, you need to strip it to

get any speed.

try it.

people do it in boardercross as well,

because alot of the boardercross races

are late season. . .

i've seen in boarderX

when people have stripped

their boards with diesel fuel. the diesel

removes the wax and is hydrophobic, so

they are able to hydroplane on the

slush instead of sinking in it.

in some cases the resorts will salt the

runs with ammonium nitrate - fertilizer -which lowers the effective melting temperature of the slope turning the slush into ice, also allowing for faster runs.

the problem comes into play where both

techniques are used . . . a boarder

with diesel on his/her board slides down

a run salted with ammonium nitrate

and the run will actually catch on fire.

diesel + fertilizer = bad news

still don't believe me ?

try it.