Hi Wizz,

Yeah, my first post of the new season. I've just come out of hibernation as the temperature drops into single digits.

And Ocean11, it seems you're quite the moonlighter on japantoday.com recently!

Looking forward to a new season.

Hi Ginger,

Well what's a man to do?

You won't see me wasting my time there no more when there's snow a'falling. Do I remember your handle from here or from there, or from both?

Whatever, take it easy.

pEopLE,

have we for got what is importnat..people,including myself,go to japan for the cultural experience and they great snow that it can provide.

i would rather have ride sweet pow pow all day ,have a nice dinner,then go to the onsen and sip on some of hokaido's finest berages. It is about the japanese lifestyle!!!

thanks for listening

chris

Quote:
Originally posted by Jinja:
NoFakie,

I gotta say, it's got absolutely NOTHING to do with money that there is no apres-ski scene in Japan.

It's just in their culture; Japanese people need their relaxation in a hotbath and then a big sleep. Japanese sleep every chance they get.

True about the magical ability to sleep anywhere and in any position. However, sometimes the reason they can do this is that people are burning the candle at both ends. When I used to work at an office, almost everyone went to bed at the same time as me but was getting up well before me at 6 or thereabouts. I had bed-to-door down to the bare minimum. So I don't think a big sleep is what everyone is getting on a regular basis. Hence the "I sleep on my day off" or "my hobby is sleeping" answer to the old eikaiwa questions. All they are doing is trying to catch up for a lack of sleep, something I think some of us do after the weekend, not during it.

As for the changing economic climate, it's just one example but once upon a time someone spent an awful lot of money building that club at Omoshiro Hasshinchi in Hakuba. It's bigger than a lot of the clubs in Tokyo (Loop, Maniac ...) and Hakuba only sees young people four months a year. Maybe the owners are only using it to write off some mean sum against tax, who knows ? It wouldn't be the first club in Japan built for that purpose. However, on the whole, Japanese behaviour during the good economic times, as witnessed by some of the "baburii" buildings that remain, was quite different than it is today. There were no half price burgers, 100 yen shops or Uniqlo in 1990.

If I may say something about the mentality of some Japanese, skiing and snowboarding seem to be affected with the omnipresent nerd/anorak/otaku factor here. This results in people being incredibly into snowboarding/skiing, as opposed to being into just having a good time (by being active and doing things like snowboarding). You know, the type that can identify your bindings at 20 paces and then reel off all that brand's riders. That kind of person or the kind of people that go down the baby slopes in a line doing esoteric carving exercises behind sempai are hardly going to cut loose at a night time. At least, not as much as someone whose just into having fun in whatever shape or form it comes along.

The popularity of this thread seems to suggest that a lot of party people are looking for a party. If I'm not wrong, then all we need is a time and place...

Barok, Given the choice between Nagano and Sapporo, head for Sapporo. In my opinion its the best city in Japan, and has a really good climate, lots of snow in the winter, and not too hot in the summer,its got some decent bars and not too many foreigners !

nozawa onsen has this litle bar on the main street. i forgott the name but it's downstairs close to a game center.

the locals there are mainly hardcore freeskiers.

if you go there and you see a nice girl named yuki, tell her she should mail me again!!!!

:0)

this is the only real complaint I have about the winter sports scene in Japan - lack of after ski lift. One of my favorite places - Shiga Kogen - is also one of the worst culprits.....

• 1 month later...