I am really interested in peoples thoughts

on the best after ski places in Japan for pubs, walking around, clubs,restaurants things to do besides relaxing and getting ready for another day on the slopes. Are there any places that have a ski village atmosphere like Whistler or Chamonix? or anywhere that skiers and boarders recommend

Thanks Jory

Naeba has some night out places....but it's not like Whistler....

Some Naeba's pension has SMALL club or bar, but not that good. If you want to have party... A) Gather people B) Bring a lot of beers etc C)having private party in pension.

That's Japanese people do.

I went to crazy party with Japanese friends, they bring hell of a lot of beers and vokka etc. then they started party in Pension's party room.... I was a bit surprised.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nat:

That's Japanese people do.
I went to crazy party with Japanese friends, they bring hell of a lot of beers and vokka etc. then they started party in Pension's party room.... I was a bit surprised.

my new years eve was like that! and when i was in the mood and getting a little drunk it was allready 0.30 and all of my japanese friends where tired and went to sleep! ON NEW YEARS EVE!!!!?????????

don't search parties in youth hostels!!!
usually there is nobody! (just you and the guy who has to lock the door)

best way to find parties in japanese ski areas is, to practice a little japanese (just a little something like, "watashi nihon go choto, anata engris wa choto mo, so try comunicate, nee!" helpfull are also some words like "dentotekina" (traditional) or utsukushi (beautiful) instead of "kawaii" or "ii" then go to the nighter, and try to practice your japanese with the girls and guys on the lift! (usually on the nighter are the locals and the staff of the shops and hotels)
if you can make local friends you will also getting invited to the private local parties.
(just look that you have always some alcohol (from your countrie) in your bags) and the evening is saved!

no one told me that, its just how it happend to me last year...

The Jap`s just can`t see the english speaking dollar, and cartering for us is next to nill. There in their own circle and we are trying to break into it and they don`t want to hear it. Very limmitted english speaking clubs, pubs and restuarnts.In Niseko its like talking to a brick wall. confused.gif confused.gif confused.gif

What after ski life?!

Apart from the Japanese not being able to see the foreign dollar, they dont seem to be able to see their own yen on many occassions. Go to many resort areas at night and all you have is karaoke, sgpdsjajdiosjosjf booooring. Is there ANYWHERE that is fun?

If you wants to have big party time in Japan after skiing/snowboarding...

U gotta rent a cottage with your friends, bring hell of drink with snacks.

Bring your CD or MD player, Do the pary in your room.

Night life in ski resort is SHIT in Jp.

:-(

Quote:
Originally posted by powpow:
There in their own circle and we are trying to break into it and they don`t want to hear it. Very limmitted english speaking clubs, pubs and restuarnts.In Niseko its like talking to a brick wall. confused.gif confused.gif confused.gif

thats true for niseko but it isn't for the rest of the japanese ski areas!!!
it might come from too many tourists (aussies, kiwis, and amis) there...
think about your hometown, how would you be if every week would come and go masses of japanese tourists, drinking too much and trying to get the most beatifull girls in town...??
i can understand them a little and i know that many people in other ski areas are much more open to foreigners!

think about your hometown, how would you be if every week would come and go masses of japanese tourists, drinking too much and trying to get the most beatifull girls in town...??

i can understand them a little and i know that many people in other ski areas are much more open to foreigners!

- -

Well if I was a businessman, I'd try to

cater to those masses and take in some

loot.

yeah i agree with nat, you have to find japanese friends and/or rent a chalet with friends/anyone and create your own parties. get to know some locals is a major thing and join in on their parties, some of the best parties i have been to are in japan! kareoke with the japanese is an awsome experience too, they seem to really let thier hair down!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by barok:
Also wondering,

Is the party scene in Japan a downer in
general ? or just that associated with
skiing, snowboarding, and the villages ?

same as everywhere, if you know where to go and if you are in a party mood then you can have great nights out there!!!!

thanks for the views! the japan ski scene

is definately different! but maybe that is a good thing too.

I just did a little pre season tour in Nagano and

Nigata. I went to Nozawa onsen and found a very cool blues bar with a live band and a great party, then the next night was with

some of the freindliest people in Myoko Kogen

midnight hotspings in the mountain shooting

stars and a big hangover. Im really looking forward to this season Ill be at Arai hope to see some of you there!

you stay the whole season in arai??

could be a little boring.....

(just the game center at the bottom station is really nice!!)

the leagaly pauda boarding is good too but i think you know the whole area after 3 days!

Nozawa is OK for afterwards. There are free onsens, quite a nice street of touristy shops, bars and restaurants. And with your ticket you get access to a big leisure center with a pool and onsen. You could probably have a few of your own drinkies in their rest area. Of course, we're not talking hoe-down here, just a good deal better than a tinny of beer in the carpark.

Quote:
Originally posted by barok:
Also wondering,

Is the party scene in Japan a downer in
general ? or just that associated with
skiing, snowboarding, and the villages ?

I suppose it depends on what do you mean by party. In the big cities in Japan, I think there is every kind of event you can imagine (well, thankfully no toga parties or similar). Even if you're more into dancing than drinking, the club scene (i.e. club music, i.e., people spinning mainly vinyl) in Japan is still vibrant and there are great events on all the time in Tokyo and Osaka at least. Some of the foreign DJ tours even hit Sapporo. Just get a techno/house/dnb/whatever magazine and check the listings. As a warning, most clubs only go off when there is a big event on, so if you begrudge the entrance money, you're best off doing a bit of research and only going to see a name DJ.

I don't know about other ski resorts but Hakuba has a couple of gaijin bars that rock into the late hours if people are there. The folk there are nice, the drinks are cheap, the music is loud, etc. Whether gaijin bars are your cup of tea is another matter, but they're there if you want to go. There's also a large club that's got a great system in it, but normally it doesn't get enough people in. Fewer people on the slopes:good. Fewer people in the club:bad.

While it's easy to chastise the people in resorts, free market economics states that supply will meet demand. I think the problem is that after spending a fortune on transport (often inc.buying a car), passes, kare-rice, accommodation and equipment, the vast majority of people don't want to go and spend another 3000 yen each on five beers. At a lot of those parties in the pensions, it's that nasty beer-like happoshu, 100yen chuhai, and conbeni snacks. If more people had the money, I'm sure they'd go out more. If the numbers of skiers/boarders weren't going down as fast as there are, I'm sure you'd see more bars in the resorts.

While this is an English page, it should go without saying that the more Japanese you understand, the more you'll get out of being in Japan. Especially in a social context.

Thanks NoFakie,

interesting stuff . . .

but what interested me most is that you said

the number of skiers/boarders is decreasing

rapidly. is the demand for hittin' the

slopes really decreasing ? is it the tough

economic times ? is it just not as crowded

on the mountains, as the guidebooks claim ?

also what are the pensions ?

i've thrown quite a few parties in my day -

over 30 raves, club events, concerts and house parties. is it possible for a foreigner to arrange a party at a rented

lodge, if one can communicate effectively, or is it better to just go with the flow ?

i'm all up for making my own fun, if it's

neccessary.

i thought that cuz of the September11 attacks, and the resultant airplane travel scares/price hiking, i thought a lot of japanese ski/boarders who would usually go to USA/europe would go skiing inside japan instead this season....?

what dyou reckon?

^^just a thought^

where you at barok?

don't know where the japanese will be.

I just know that a japanese company owns

whistler and tries to get as many kids out

there every year as possible, but when i was

there i only saw japanese on the slopes, all

i saw in the bar was whitey smile.gif

i'm chillin' here in Madison, Wisconsin, USA

which is about as good as it gets within a 16 hour driving radius - ugh. we have some good parks, but not enough vertical for good

freeriding, and powder is scarce, yah gotta jump on it.

i'm coming out to japan next september and

am begging my sponsor to put me in Nagano

or Sapporro.

teaching English is the ubiquitous job, but

at least people want to learn smile.gif and there

are people in Nagano and Sapporo, or so i hear.

NoFakie,

I gotta say, it's got absolutely NOTHING to do with money that there is no apres-ski scene in Japan.

It's just in their culture; Japanese people need their relaxation in a hotbath and then a big sleep. Japanese sleep every chance they get.

Don, don't say that! They'll get ideas and clog up the slopes just when it was getting good! I hear Osechi ryori is enjoying a boom right now - it's safer to eat those nasty boiled shrimps with the shells that don't come off rather than going to Hawhy.