Konbu ? Never heard of that one. Isn't it a bit hard and scratchy ? Also bone dry. But if that's the way you like it.... I've heard of people doing things with stinging nettles, and this may be the Japanese version. Everyone says the seafood is better in Hokkaido, and this may be why.

Some of the locals cut holes in konnyaku but that's far too conventional, don't you think ?

• 11 months later...

I`m shocked! What Sexer posted can`t be true, can it? I`ll be going there in Jan and there`s no way in hell I`m going to cough up a big chunk of my wallet just to satisfy my tummy(that`s why I`m not going back to Tenjindair). Perhaps it`s wishful thinking but does anyone know if there are any convenience stores within walking distance(winter standard applies)from Nikko Annupri Hotel? Otherwise I`m stuffing my bag with instant ramen!

There are plenty of good 100 yen shops in kutchan a town about 10 kms down the road (there are busses). There are also plenty of supermarkets there. The food at Seiko mart is the same as any covenience store in japan - although i hear its the busiest one in all of hokkaido