Good Ski Resorts 1-2 hrs away from Tokyo?

Hi guys,

I've got two questions. But first, please let me introduce myself. I live in Hong Kong, and I have skied 7-8 times before in Canada. I'm looking for a good place with a wide variety of difficulty (i'm travelling with 2 beginners in Skiing).

After searching on the net for over 2 weeks, I think the ski resorts in Japan are NOT centralized... there are so many small resorts and I have a hard time finding ones that suit my needs.

I've sort of narrowed down my choices (please give advise on my decision or let me know of other resorts if you think will suit my group). I sort of picked Nagano (well known after the 1998 winter olympics) and there are many resorts. I then picked either Shiga Kogen or Hakuba (i read the inquiry by Ian in the forum).

Q1)

I would like to see what you guys think will suit a group of 4 people, some are beginners and some are intermediate.

Q2)

I don't know how the ski passes work in Japan, but some webpages say that the ski passes at Hakuba and Shiga Kogen can be used at many resorts within the area. For example, I read from SJG that a specific Shiga Kogen resort only has maybe 10 runs/courses, but on other websites, it says the same ski pass can ski 33 runs/courses in the Shiga Kogen resorts (i am guessing i use the same pass at different Shiga Kogen resorts). Is this true?

I greatly appreciate any help you can give me because I am very confused and can't seem to find any answers. Thank you.

Just to quickly answer your main question, Eriond, the resorts in Shiga Kogen are all linked and you can use 1 lift ticket for all of them.

The confusing part is that they are all in effect separate resorts with different names, but to the skier/boarder you should think of them as one as you can ride all the slopes together. In their listings however they tell people how many lifts and courses that their particular resort has, not the total for the Shiga Kogen resort area. We will try to make that more clear in the near future on the site.....

Good luck and enjoy Japan!

Eriond

I also live in Hong Kong. I have skied in Japan two years ago, and am interested to go again this winter.

I would like to join your group for skiing in Japan this winter, if you don't mind. I am an intermeidate skier, and am very flexible in cost and timing.

Pls email me at chanyimekeung@hotmail.com.

CYK