i need some new goggles,

Oakley A frame? Electric? arnette?

dunno what to get.

i think ima try and buy a pair in jimbotcho

im going to japan for this season,

in japan do you need reflective lenses or non-reflective?

or both?

Where you planning on staying this season Don? If you're in a powder resort check that the goggles have massive air-intakes that will suck air well over the lenses. It never seems to stop snowing in these resorts and so fog-up can be the boarder's biggest problem. I haven't found the solution yet, Oakleys and Dragons didn't work. I found that "Iris" were definately better and have larger air-inlets. Forget the marketting and check out the actual product.

Quote:
Originally posted by Twiki:
Where you planning on staying this season Don? If you're in a powder resort check that the goggles have massive air-intakes that will suck air well over the lenses. It never seems to stop snowing in these resorts and so fog-up can be the boarder's biggest problem. I haven't found the solution yet, Oakleys and Dragons didn't work. I found that "Iris" were definately better and have larger air-inlets. Forget the marketting and check out the actual product.

I agree with Twiki...
Iris is really cool.

im going to Onikoube resort in Miyagi, to work for a season.

they say they get powder but i really doubt that.

lol

yea, iris, i forgot about them.

how much do you pay for goggles in japan these days?

maybe i could get some discounts at the resort, if im working there?

or i'll just scout the shops in jimbotcho.

awwwwwww, i cant wait to go boarding !!

Major rule with goggles. DON'T TAKE THEM OFF YOU FACE OUTSIDE! They will fog. Don't matter what brand. Simple physics folks.

I use Oakley A's and never had a problem with fog anywhere. Used 'em in Niseko, Niigata, Nagano. They have chageable lenses too if that's is a what you want.

I haven't used any other brand so can't help you there. The reason I haven't used any ohter brand is 'cause there is no need too.

yo...

I highly recommend the Scott World Cup

goggles...they are cheap (like $20 from

artec.com) and don't fog often (no goggles

are fog-proof)...they also fit over helmets

nicely if you use them...

danz

------------------

pray for snow

yeah i reckon spys are the go. in a powder resort such as niseko, you need yellow lenses, i tried clear a night, but they dont bring up the definition like the yellow lenses.

i agree with the other guys, you wont get a non fog lens/goggle.

expect to pay around Y16000 for a pair in jimbocho and heaps dearer on the slopes!!

you know those head-lights that outdoor

outfitter stores sell to people for

spelunking and nighttime

hiking/biking/camping ??

yah know they fit on your head like a headband ?

anyone ever try night-riding with them ?

i think it would be pretty cool indeed.

danz,

Have you got a full URL for that shop you mention?

I like the look of Smith groggles, as they're designed for use with helmets (Oakley useless here as my skidlid has a chin guard and peak). I'm going to try playing big wraparounds that go over my glasses and hope to beat fogging that way until I can get groggles that work. Double fogging is twice as worse as single fogging, that's fer shuwa.

I can only imagine one type of light worth having for flying down a slope at night. A climbing headlamp (the new petzel LEDs ,72g, phenonenal) is fantastic for plodding, but only serves to destroy (my) night vision when going fast. How about strapping mtb twin cateyes to the top of your goggles, stuff the battery pack down yer jacket. Good enough for flying through forests at night on a bike!

If your a sweat machine, having two pairs is certainly worth it, one pair nice and dry in your pack, and the other on your head...its pretty damp around here...use glasses while you're climbing or hiking. Double lenses a must, Reflective lenses not so useful as there are a lot of cloudy days.

• 9 years later...
Originally Posted By: Ocean11
danz,

Have you got a full URL for that shop you mention?

I like the look of Smith groggles, as they're designed for use with helmets (Oakley useless here as my skidlid has a chin guard and peak). I'm going to try playing big wraparounds that go over my glasses and hope to beat fogging that way until I can get groggles that work. Double fogging is twice as worse as single fogging, that's fer shuwa.
Bought my Smith goggles 4 years ago. Still work. Only take them off once inside cafe.

I have used a lot of different goggles (IO, eg2, a frames, you name it)

I like Smith I/O's but they can have some problems with water getting in between the dual lens. A cheaper and just as good option is the Smith Phenom. Either will be a good bet!

I love my Smith Fuse, which I bought over here at a really good price (70% off) in Alpen Sports (there's one in the Jimbocho/Kanda/Ochanomizu area) at the end of season sales last season!

Originally Posted By: mogski
Major rule with goggles. DON'T TAKE THEM OFF YOU FACE OUTSIDE! They will fog. Don't matter what brand. Simple physics folks.
I would love to point this out to the hordes of Japanese school kids who come to Furano and keep their goggles on their hats rather than their faces! doh