Does any hardcore ski bums participate in this forum????

I thought that I would be inundated with tips on where to score the cheapest lift tickets in Niseko, but unfortunately, it seems as if this is a site for expats, and beginners, looking for best nightlife, when you are paying $70 odd dollars a day to ride a lift, this would have to be good place to start to save some money ?????????

Stand by the ticket refund machine at lunchtime in resorts that use refundable electronic tickets (ie Hakuba...) and ask people who are returning them if they'll take your 1000 yen instead. Works a treat and gives you a free pm boarding. Don't do it when I'm there though...

The ticket-refund system works well. You tell by the Q you have to wait in while a few other folks do the same thing. Doesn't take long, but its not a well-kept secret. Maybe smaller resorts wouldn't have so many of us. I frequent Hakuba. Do Shiga Kogen, Nozawa, Zao, etc. work on the same systems? I need to up my budget choices.

You can often get tix even in resorts without electronic barrier gates. You'll just have to be more patient and wait near the car park. Ask anyone on their way to a car. A token 500 yen may coax a ticket from a reluctant owner. I've done this at several resorts including Arai. If there's a blizzard, you should be able to get tickets very early in the day, and then have the bonus of still being able to lay some tracks.

When there's been decent overnight snow, you're still better off paying and getting on the hill as soon as you can. Otherwise bust out the snowshoes and go hiking like the man says.