On skis it is means going backwards. ie. you butt facing down the hill instead of up.

For boarders I think it is riding the normally "at the back leg goes first"...

Otherwise known as riding "fakie". Most people angle their bindings forward, so when you ride switch /fakie your feet end up pointing up the hill rather than down it. This makes riding switch/fakie difficult to get the hang of.

Quite a few riders who do spin tricks that leave them riding switch ride with both feet pointing outwards. This kind of symmetrical set-up is called a "duck" stance. Believe or not, the Japanese for this is "dakku".

If you watch 1/2 pipe events, you'll see that a lot of tricks have the rider coming back into the pipe on their back foot. I alawys called it fake or fakie. I wouldn't say "official" is the correct word, but it is common.

As a boarder, I find going fakie helps me work out finer movements, as you have to concentrate more to ride backwards.

yeeeah,

riding switch . . .

it's really a fundamental of the sport.

it's used to describe tricks and style.

if somebody pulls off a trick switch, it

is that much more impressive than pulling

the same trick regular.

really nailing switch is one of many rites of

passage associated with becoming an

"intermediate" rider. . .

ya dig

yea, switch is important.

ive nearly got it down,

i mean, i can go down any level run and i will just look like a goofy-footed rider.

but i still get scared going off a kicker switch tho, and really steep faces, scary to do switch.

the way i learned was when we used to wait for the jumps to soften up, we'd do runs with heaps of little 180s, butters etc etc, and the bits of switch riding help you out.

switch definately helps you understand the finer points of regular riding. cuz you concentrate on the movements.

like, natural-footed instructors have to demo basic skidded turns in switch for goofy-footed learners.

argh, halfpipe walls in switch are hard, probably cuz im shit at the pipe tho...ha ha

On riding switch and fakie.

When you ride fakie, you're set up to ride in the opposite direction. e.g. if you ride regular riding fakie is when you're riding goofy but with your bindings set up to ride regular.

Riding switch is when you set your binding angles to ride goofy, following the said example above.

Yes, there's a difference. Terje Haakonsen won the Baker Banked Slalom riding switch. While quite an accomplishment, his binding angles were optimised for riding switch, not fakie as most ppl assume.