Went to Kokusai on wednesday and friday. Wednesday was great - first day of top to bottom skiing, and super deep powder everywhere. But yesterday was something else!! Duck under the rope for the downhill course (the only black runb) and deep trackless powder all day!!! No costomers (almost) and heavy snowfall helped it to be one of the best days of boarding Ive EVER had (and I spent about 50 days in Niseko last year). Why bother with backcountry when you have the main runs so deep with powder all to yourself!!!

Before youi get jealous though, must admit I went to Teine on wednesday (was the FIRST public customer to ride the lift). Only one run open, and ducking under one rope resulted in 3 big scratches to my board (which was scratchless from last year in Niseko). CAUTION! (then lost my gloves to add insult to injury)

Joules

Great to hear that joules - thanks for the report. I'm stuck in the city for another 2 weeks before I can get out, but good to hear someones enjoying the snow. Do you live up there???

Excellent to hear that joules.

You spent FIFTY DAYS in Niseko last year.....how can people get to do that..!

Looking forward to other reports from the slopes guys (and gals, sorry Helen/Nat/etc)

Well last year I basically worked weekends in Sapporo and stayed in Niseko from tuesday to friday. It cost a little overall, but was certainly worth it allup (and didnt cost much). But now is even better - am earning a fair amount, and get to board 4 or 5 days a week (although going to work after a hard morning churning powder is harder than it sounds!). Had to buy a car though, which costs a LOT to run down here. And will probably stick to Teine Highland and Kokusai this year (season pass for Teine, but it allows kokusai day ticvkets for 1000 yen).

But for anyone wondering about early boarding in Hokkaido - I highly recommend it! Just so much snow has fallen in the last 5 days (and should fall for the next 7 days) and having that snow almost to yourself (if you can get weekdays free) is heavenly!

Joules.