This may seem like flame attractant (hey, that Ocean11 ain't got no friends!) but I can't see the point of going snowboarding in a herd. Whenever there's a discussion about stepins versus straps, there's always a comment arguing against stepins that goes "but you've got to wait for your buds anyway". Why? What's the advantage of having 'buds' who keep you hanging around, want your attention, ride across the back of your board, fall in a heap in front of you and other oafish behaviour?

There's nothing better than getting away from everybody and just listening to the swish of the board and the birdsong.

OK, get out your gasoline now, you wildebeest!

(BTW, can anybody tell me how to make the little snarling red face - I love that one!)

Ocean11 I coudlnt agree more with you

the saying ' no friends on a powder day ' was coined for a lot of very good reasons and I for one are over waiting for 'buds' to get their s%$t together when fresh snow is waiting

powder waits for no man

I think that, like 99% of things in our lives, snowboarding is better when done with other people than alone. Three reasons IMO:

1) You have better chances to improve your riding style when boarding with friends that are on your level or even better. They can give you tips, spot a better line when riding in the backcountry, teach you a new trick and...

2) ...they can save your ass. Imagine this: the sun is shining, there is a lot of powder, you duck under a rope, hike for 20 minutes, ride in the middle of nowhere and... suddenly you fall very hard and break your shoulder. Well, something like this has happened to me and, believe me, I was more than happy to hear the voice of my girlfriend a couple of meters from me (she went to call for help because I couldn't move).

3) It's simply more funny. Snowboarding is a joy and I like to share that with my friends. Matter of fact, I remember the first time I went to Hokkaido: there were TONS of snow. First thought when I arrived there? "Geez, I really wish my friends were here to see this".

Just my opinion, of course

ps: sorry for my poor english wink.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by flameless:
Ocean11 I coudlnt agree more with you
the saying ' no friends on a powder day ' was coined for a lot of very good reasons and I for one are over waiting for 'buds' to get their s%$t together when fresh snow is waiting
powder waits for no man....

....and the avalanche gets down without saying to any one, that you are inside.
too bad that the hotel owner just realise that you arent present for the last 3 days, but i think you want care about, cause its so silent and nice under tons of snow, and spring is coming soon anyway........

hey flameless, if you are that real hardcore powder junkie, then please don't be stupid!
a little knowledge about backcountry and how to ride safer is really important to go out of bounds!

now, about riding on slopes without friends.
i think it's also fun, especially that you are able to make new friends!
but i also think that you can progress your snowboarding alot more if you ride with friends who have a better or the same level as you!

Following other, far better riders is how I improved this season just gone.

Spent a day hanging with the staff from the lodge. OK I bailed on a lot of stuff, but gave a lot of stuff a go, and improved a lot.

• 1 month later...