Rngh...rngh...rngh...rngh...rngh...

The chair moves slowly up the hill. A a fat flake floats lazily into your coat collar and melts on your neck.

On your right is a giggly OL with a "Kissmark" snowboard. She bought that one because the commercial was kakkou-ii!!

On your left is a a reasonable facsimile of your buchou. He's wearing exactly what your buchou would wear: purple-pink Mizuno gear that was the height of resort fashion in 1987.

The buchou pulls out a smoke.

There remain four silent bobbing minutes in the lift ride.

So what do you do?

You could pull out your flask and have a snort, of course. It's after 12:00 p.m. on a Saturday...so it's allowed under the applicable rules.

Now, for all you enthusiasts out there: what is in YOUR flask?

If you tell me yours, I'll tell you mine!

badmigraine in Tokyo.

[This message has been edited by badmigraine (edited 05 December 2001).]

[This message has been edited by badmigraine (edited 05 December 2001).]

"yuki wa seico desu nee!!??"

then they (hopefully she) starts to talk with me in japanese.

i will say then " sorry watashi nihongo wa chotto"

and we we try to comunicate....

Yo mogski

Allowing two minutes for fumbling at zips and thermal layers, that leaves you all of two minutes. Must be some good time you show the ladies....

Anybody tried mixing genki drinks with the hard stuff a la vodka-red bull ?

Yeah I do some of that too. You should try sometime.

I do ponder over your choice of comment directed at me followed up by your suggested drink of Schnapps.

No, just the same ones as badmigraine

I quote:

There remain four silent bobbing minutes in the lift ride.

Great description of the buchou there, migraine. Can imagine him no bother.

My apologies then.

Drink: Southern Comfort straight. Easier on the taste buds than whiskey yet still with the same power and sugar in there to give you a high to complement and accelrate the natural reaction. YEAH cool.gif

Thanks for the props, buzzaa!

About the drink of choice, you and I have a lot in common. I went to Germany on a business trip last year and in a convenience store next to my hotel I found a bottle of some kind of 20% alcoholic drink that also contained "amino acids including taurine, and caffeine".

I had a friend who used to mix S-Cup 1000 with dark rum and that gave an admirable effect. The possibilities are mind-boggling and you can always pick up the genki drinks at any konbini so all ya gotta do is bring up a bottle of the hard stuff, and you can keep recharging that flask all day long!!

The only problem with that kind of stuff is, you drink it like juice and it runs out too quickly. I don't have a flask big enough to hold the volume I'd need to drink.

So this year I am thinking of putting in Laphroaig Single Malt Whiskey.

That is, unless Mogski agrees to adapt his new DaKine "Blade" pack's hydration system bladder to alcoholic beverages.

In other drink news we were playing chemistry set bartender at my place and found that Mountain Dew makes a great mixer with booze for Friday night cocktails, given all the sugar and caffeine in it that push your end-of-the-week blues all the way back into Saturday morning, where you'll never even notice them given all the hangover you'll be having to deal with.

Well, thanks everyone for your input, and as initiator of this thread I hereby declare buzzaa the Winner!!

Congratulations, and thanks for fighting the good fight even on the mountain!!

As well as flask beverages, it's good to have one of those 750 ml bottles of sake nicely chilled from a night in the car. A good pull on it at 6 am warms the cockles and settles the breakfast as you head out on the expressway. It also provides very welcome company on the way to the onsen.

Cheers Migraine !

The best genki drink I've tried is one called Bessen Tea. That's Bessen Tea NOT Bessen D. It's got one helluva lot of caffeine in there and it hits your bloodstream in one massive speed rush. Back in my shirt and tie days, it stopped from headbutting my desk on a number of occasions. Drink too much though and you'll want to headbutt the ceiling. Another drink called "Awouk" has the same amount of caffeine, but I left the rat-race before ever getting around to trying it. Great name though. It's gotta be popular with the torakku-yaro.

Caffeine-laced all-night cocktails ? Can't beat the classic Cuba Libre (rum n coke to you'n'me), but I'll give the Mountain Dew a try. Maybe it could go in a variation of another great Cuban cocktail, the Mojito (mo-hee-to), with a load of fresh mint.

Hmm, I had to gop over to www.webtender.com to find out what's in one of those Mojitos...and I sure liked what I found!

Interesting story over there about its origin and how some bartenders talked it up as one of Hem's drinks.

My family of geniuses, drunks and heroic misfits got trapped in Newark Int'l Airport during that New Year's blizzard a few years ago. Just for fun we asked the bartender for a mythical drink called a "Tequila Good Girl" and he acted puzzled until my sister (nicknamed "Good Girl") explained that it was just tequila with pineapple and grapefruit juice in it.

Over the course of the next half-day our gruop of 15 or so ordered a lot of these and the bartender got really good at making them.

Some other customers even ordered them by name, having apparently overheard us ordering them.

My brother was back there last winter and just for fun stopped into the same airport bar and asked for a "Tequila Good Girl"...it was all different bar staff but the bartender just served it right up, didn't even bat an eyelid.

Amazing!

Well, goodnight.

badmigraine in Tokyo.

• 5 months later...