Haven't made arrangements yet, anybody have some suggestions as to how to make package arrangements now for the long weekend in January 12-14?

Haven't been to Niseko yet. What are the differences between annupuri, higashiyama, and hirafu?

I wanted to stay at the Prince Higashiyama hotel since it seems really convenient. Has anyone stayed there? Any opinions about the hotel, eg. location, food, onsen, overall experience?

Thanks so much

S

I lived at Niseko for a couple of seasons, so I can say that you are going to love it, but the weather is not often good. Hirafu is my favorite, but Higashiyama kicks as well. The pensions are the way I usually go in Japanese ski resorts as the master often skis with you- nice touch.

P.S. Save some energy for night skiing- it offers the nicest weather and you can see fox occasionally. Let me know if you need specifics...

Hi Sarah,

The differences are that the Hirafu only ticket gives access to the most/best terrain.

Annapuri is a little small and mostly for beginners/families. Higashiyama is run by the Prince hotel and are a bit stricter on the out of bounds policy.

If you get a free passport ticket you can go anywhere and see for yourself.

The prince hotel is luxury, but you pay for it. The onsen has a great view of Yotei and pond full of koi.

It's very convenient as the gondola departs from the foyer of the hotel.

I would recommend staying at Ryu's inn though. The service is first rate and food fantastic. (www.niseko.gr.jp)

cheers.

It's nowhere near the same rank as the Prince Hotel, but I'm in the Niseko Kogen Hotel at the moment. It's a really good deal. It's 9000 a night until Dec 21 with two day passes for Hirafu and breakfast if you book through the Internet (two in a room). It's 70m or so below the 1A and 1B lifts. The passes say Hanazono and Kogen, but they worked on the Alpen lifts as well. Half the rooms face the slopes with the other half facing Mt. Yotei.

No view of Yotei today, only half a dozen lifts going and very windy, but wicked wicked snow. Fantastic ! The top lift and Hanazono open up tomorrow.