Which resorts have the best tucker, and which have the worst? Prices? Truly revolting offerings? Simpla divine?

Had some nice taco tempura at Hakuba47 that cost me Y450 and two of my tentacles. It was nice to eat octopus at 2000 m above sea level, and the lightening of my wallet resulted in some significant speed improvement. I was thinking of having the little Y350 scoop of potato salad to go with my tempura, but I didn't want to be going_that_fast.

Nozawa's curry looks like sloppy shit and sits on the stomach like an incubus. And don't eat the American dogs in the leisure centre there either.

Are we clear what this thread is about now? Good.

I recommend the tacos at the stall near the big map/escalators at Echigo Yuzawa Station.

They are a spicy warm cheap delicious treat that heats you up from the inside and go perfectly with your nice cold beer.

For those who haven't had the good fortune to eat real tacos, like those served at King Taco in East L.A. (and believe me, it is nothing like what you get at Taco Bell!), these Niigata tacos are surprisingly close to the real deal, and along with the genuine taste treat you get one of those quintessentially Japanese experiences where you just can't quite figure out what an old man is doing making authentic tacos in a little stall in a train station in the snow country...

Had a similar experience in Akasaka in 1998, when the Japanese VP of a Japanese semiconductor maker took me to dinner/karaoke at a "Country Music Pub".

Turns out he was a regular there, and in addition to his bottle-keep of Jack Daniels with his name dutifully scrawled on it, he (and all the other regulars) also kept a big old cowboy hat on a peg behind the bar and wore it at all times, including when he went off to have a slash and also when he sang the famous country hit "If I Told You That You Had a Beautiful Body, Would You Hold It Against Me?"

Not really related to skiing, but do you know what happens when you play a country music song backwards?

You get back your girlfriend, your dog and your pickup truck.

A final thought: wrong thread, but mogski was right on with the notion of Southern Comfort in a flask!!

Yeee-hah!!

Ain't but too kahnds of myuzick, cuntry, end whestin. Swat ah aalwiz seh!

Looks like we're ready for another thread about music. That song 'Can you Keep a Secret' nearly drove me nuts on the slopes last year. I wanted to jam something down Hikaru-chan's throat to stop the whining noise. A taco maybe.

Only way to go... conbini ramen, sushi, snickers, and beer (of course if its early in the morning, then start with the beer...)

Invest in your own cannister of gas, a burner, and a teapot (this is my handle, this is my spout... yeah that's the one). Oh, and of course, water, snow takes just too long too melt... very cheap way to go.

Oh, yeah, instant coffee (to use up the excess hot water).

This is probably easier to manage for those driving, but you can still do it hauling around your own bags on the trains. It's a somewhat tasty, very cheap, warm, lunch. we also bring our lounge chairs and hang out in the parking lot and enjoy the scenery as well (unless of course you LIKE sucking in more second hand smoke than if you smoked two-packs of camels unfiltered eating in the "smoke-a-teria"

The Gulliver restaurant in the Hotel Scott at Niseko Hirafu was pretty good for a ski resort. Tasty, decent size, and around 1000 yen. The food at the KFC there was pretty stale and the restaurant was so full of smoking kids that the non-smoking area was totally meaningless.

You can get a good pizza at the bottom of Hakuba47 but they're thin crust (not filling) and are pricey at around 1500. You sometimes have to wait 40 minutes as well. You can get a donburi at the place called Kitty (written using ateji kanji), but they're not very big.

The evil empire (McDonalds) does their value sets at Happo, but you can't have the kokosei special (3 hamburgers for 200 yen) since they're not half price during the week.

The only Haagen Daaz in Nagano is at the bottom of Hakuba Goryu. Always helps keep the woman happy. There's a Mos Burger on the other side (iimori ?) but the prices are 20% higher than normal branches. The other branch in Hakuba (at Omoshiro Hasshinchi) closed earlier this year.

Quote:
Originally posted by badmigraine:
I recommend the tacos at the stall near the big map/escalators at Echigo Yuzawa Station.

I second that! Was coming back from Naeba one cold January evening, and saw lots of ppl slurping some soup which smelled really good. I couldn't resist and had a bowl. Yeah, it was good if you don't mind the assorted organ meat in it.
  • 4 months later...
Originally posted by BigKahuna:

Invest in your own cannister of gas, a burner, and a teapot (this is my handle, this is my spout... yeah that's the one). Oh, and of course, water, snow takes just too long too melt... very cheap way to go.

I just bought a hot sandwich grill - you know the two handles close the grill kind?

This turns a conbini sandwich edible when grilled on a burner in a parking lot. Try it out.

I have a samll back packing gas burner from UniFlame (which I carry it in my back pack also).

With a piezo igniter it is a piece of cake to make a grilled sandwich. If I remember, I bring a dab of butter for better taste.

Here is another tip: I also bring a samll camping pot to boil some water to eat instant noodles. Key is to also buy at combini a stalk of onion(negi) and chop 'em up and throw into the noodles (carry a samll swiss army knife) - makes the noodle soup surprisingly edible. With the left over hot water, you can also make some hot coffee.