After seeing the Zao post earlier, thought Id ask you all about Hunter Mountain in Tochigi. Anyone been there? Heard conflicting reports, so if anyone has any pointers, would be good!

Cheers

Cal

yes they did...

Hunter Mtn. in New York state...

great hill and really close to the city

(less than 2 hrs...)

I will probably be skiing Hunter (japan)

early jan. i'll post a report...

danz

whiteface is HUGE...

they even try to host a downhill race

every year....

and weren't the winter olympics held

there once??

Hunter Mtn. NY ROCKS! (as long as you

can avoid the starter jacket posse...)

danz

------------------

pray for snow

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, Hunter is moderately large resort accessed by the Nasu-Shiobara interchange on the Tohoku expressway or station of the same name on the shink line. Expect crowds on weekends/holidays. If you are a groomed run rider/skier Hunter might be right for you, and they have a few decent bump runs off the gondola top. If you are more into riding a terrain park or good pipe(they groom it with a pipe dragon) or exploring some wicked backcountry then let me recommend Mt. Jeans Resort Nasu, a few minutes up the highway moe easily accessed by the Nasu or Shirakawa interchange. The area gets some nice deep and fluffy dumps. I was in mountain operations there for several years so can vouch for the great off piste terrain above the gondola. Just head up over the hill at the top of the Buna vista chairlift and you're into a backcountry paradise. If it's your bag you can even traverse the Asahi-dake ridge system to Chause-dake, a prominent gassing Volcanoe. Don't forget your probes and shovel though, It's serious topo and you won't see another soul back there.

Oh, and both the Hunter Shiobara and Nasu areas boast some terrific onsens. Both areas will obviously be better mid-season... Have fun and post a thread if you go,

A frustrated freeskier in Ontario.

Just went there over New Year and had a fabulous time. Good resort, wasn't huge amounts of snow but enough. Good place, would recommend it to people wanting another choice that is not too far from Tokyo.

• 4 years later...

Found this old thread (lets play resurrection) while digging around and my query sort of relates to what's been mentioned as there seems to be a few north easterners hanging around here;

hypothesis; say you happened to be in NYC in late March/v.early April is it feasible to do a short (3 day) trip to a resort in NY state? Will there be any snow?

This is me in my most duplicitous/devious mode; "excuse me dear, but why on earth are you packing your snowboard for our trip to NYC?" \:D

Yes, New York is a state also. It\'s 455km wide and 530 km long so driving from the city to the ski hills in upper NY State is like going from Tokyo to Tohoku. Actually, there's better skiing in Vermont and New Hampshire, which is roughly the same distance from NYC but skiing anywhere in the east often sucks because of lack of snow.

report from my East Coast friens say there is no snow anywhere...all east coast resorts are hurting and are probably surviving purely on man-made stuff.

Hunter Mtn. NY is a relatively simple day trip from the city...and you could certainly spend 3 days there if you want, but it might be better to trek up further north into NH,VT,ME and spend 3 days there (think 6hr+ driving from nyc). Just keep your eye on the snow reports, because things aren't looking so hot now