back when I was in the US, I never listned

to music while skiing...

I enjoyed the peacefullness of my surroundings, the sounds of metal and snow

the puff of powder....

but ever since i started skiing in japan, those beautiful sounds i used to enjoy are swamped out by monoral J-pop...so i think

i need to bring my own tunes from now on...

what do you guys use for auditory supplements

on the mtn??

just curious

danz

------------------

pray for snow

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to say the edge of my board, but you've mentioned that.

Have to admit that I am looking at a MD player so I can listen to some Ministry of sound CDs like Dance Nation (mixed by GT and Peewee). The trancey CD (#2) seems to be at about the right pace for long wide slopes. For quicker slopes, I'd have to go for some MoS Clubber Guide to Summer.

Thats another reason to go backcountry and off the slopes - to avoid the Jpop crass.

eek.gif

Are there any resorts that DON'T have that music on the slopes?

At least yesterday in Gala they were going thru their record lists in alphabetical order instead of Jpop-all-the-time; we got full doses of Backstreet Boys as well as Black Sabbath! Rrrrrock!

But then again, we also "enjoyed" the Japanese X-mas rap... I almost liked the "silent night, holy night"-part.. (sick me)

Oops - almost forgot the most important part, two feet of fresh yesterday!

47 has music on most of the time, as does Goryu. Low points of last season included a day of early Beatles (obscure album tracks included), Koyanagi's album (poor covers of poor English songs) back to back three times, and a daily hour of C+W in the spring. My personal nemesis is whingy love songs. I can handle inane throwaway stuff like MiniMoni no bother. At least it's upbeat. It's "sayonara daisuki na hito" and all that sentimental tosh by women who look and sound like they've never had a bf in their lives that gets me mad. Who wants to listen to that when you're out having a good time ?

Of the Hakuba resorts, I think the music is on loudest at Sanosaka, where you get the added pleasure of heavy speaker distortion. The most noise I've encountered though has been when there's a slalom contest on on part of the hill. Come up against one of them and you'll want to go home, believe me.

In a vid, I've seen a North American resort (it might even have been Whistler) boasting of having DJs on playing all that Limp Biskit-type stuff that "you can hear all the way up the lifts!" Maybe music at resorts is not just a Japanese thing.

One big powder Monday at Goryu last season I got to hear The Clash & AC/DC during a coffee break at the top of the gondala. Back in Black is a sweet tune when you're knee deep but soon it's back to oooh...oooh...I love you baby, so why did you dump my sorry arse/shag all those other people...oooo...ooo...ooofff etc etc. Unfortunately bad taste in music is a universal but I'd rather listen to Jpop than Mariah Careys Xmas which has been on constant rotation at one of my work places recently. No wonder she had a mental breakdown.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kuma:
At least yesterday in Gala they were going thru their record lists in alphabetical order instead of Jpop-all-the-time; we got full doses of Backstreet Boys as well as Black Sabbath! Rrrrrock!
But then again, we also "enjoyed" the Japanese X-mas rap... I almost liked the "silent night, holy night"-part.. (sick me)
Oops - almost forgot the most important part, two feet of fresh yesterday!

Yeah. We enjoyed MUSIC in Gala, didn't we?
(Goodness, Ayumi Hamazaki & BackStreet Boys' songs are still going on in my head ... Well... JAPANESE RAP X-mas song was cool.)
Personally, I think the slopes should hire proper 'DJ', if they want to play music loudly.
Anyway, we were enjoyed Fresh snow in Gala, that's main thing!

Kuma - Sorry I send an e-mail regarding January AGAIN! Ahhh.....I broke my promise again myself! (Why I keep sending message!?!? And why I never shush!?)

[This message has been edited by Nat (edited 17 December 2001).]

I had some bizarre self-inflicted music on my trip to Nozawa on Sunday. As I was turning cartwheels in the powder, I had 'Frosty the Snowman' playing in my head, you know, that awful one with probably a young Michael Jackson or someone screaming "Frooosty tha snow---man, dabadadubaba". It's on that one Xmas tape that all the chain restaurants seem to be playing this year. At least with J Pop you get a number of different songs. I was stuck with just the chorus of Frosty the Snowman, all day.

• 1 month later...

yeah I listen to my own tracks.

yeah It's a little known fact that I'm one

out of five members of the latest smash hit

boy band. we're called Tuesday's Child.

We're going to rock the American Billboard

Charts, and then it's over to Europe for the

"European Invasion" and then on to Japan,

where we'll have busloads of Japanese girls

screaming our names. It's going to be great.

I'm the bad-boy of the group. You can just

talk to my agent.

werd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...