Excellent first run of the season today in Hakuba (Tsugaike). Snow dumping all round, but great to be out there. Must be about 50cm since yesterday fall, first real dump of the season. Gonna try out Happo tomorrow.

Get out there!

I was up the road at Hakuba Cortina on Sunday. We had a big booze up nearby on Saturday night and in the ensuing snowball fight, we found the snow too light and not sticky enough to make snowballs. We just ended up throwing each other in the snow. All in all around 60cm of snow over the weekend, though I didn't have a tape measure on me.

There were only two lifts going, but thankfully they were the quad that's straight up the hill and then the pair that follows it. It was only 1500 for the pass. The upper courses were almost deserted with lots of pow and enough gradient to enjoy it, but there were a lot of people lower down, including a very large group of skiers doing what looked like a test. No lift queues though. There was little snow during the day, and it was getting quite crusty by the end, so I wouldn't drop everything just yet. It's not snowing today, btw.

I've heard of at least five separate traffic accidents in the past three days in the Hakuba area, including one overturned car, so watch what you're doing if you are going out.

[This message has been edited by NoFakie (edited 17 December 2001).]