• 4 weeks later...

Hakkoda is SICK S - I - C - K!

one gondola

no courses

two official routes

extreme weather.....orange poles are your friend

tree skiing

all within the gondola area

No music no crowds....except on Sundays...they really come out in the spring....but that's when you take off to the backcountry

best kept secret in POW japan

there'll be an feature article coming out in Feb.

Here's what was on the review pages I put up:

Hakkoda san.... is situated in central Aomori ken. It is accessible by car and by bus from Aomori city (which lies 30 minutes to the north) or from the east (Hachinohe) or west (Kuroishi) via back mountain roads. It is reknowned as a POWDER mountain....in fact it has the best powder skiing (besides backcountry) of any place in Tohoku....surpassing Hachimantai in its sheer size and freedom to ski out-of-bounds. The mountain is serviced by one single cable car (capacity 101) that runs every 15 or 20 minutes (dependent on the wind conditions). Those that use the mountain lean more towards the intermediate and advanced skiers and boarders....with a very healthy dose of telemarkers and snowshoers. From the top of the cable car one can continue into the back country and stay at one of the two mountain huts (odake-main peak...and sennintai...on the far side more easily accessible from Sukayu onsen). The mountain prefers that people stay to the main courses....'direct' and the 'forest' course....but there are many many different routes one can take. It is highly advisable that during extreme weather conditions that you stay to or near the courses. I've been skiing the mountain some 50+ times now and ....and mostly from the cable car.....there is ALWAYS fresh powder to be found.....right till closing. The mountain is open 9:00 until around 3:20. The prices range from a single ride for 1,000 yen to a five pack for 4,800 to month passes at a mere 16,000 (one can ski 8 times in a day if you go hard) and 60,000 for a seasons pass. The mountain is usually more crowded in March and April when the Japanese tend to appear more in favourable weather....but the best POW is to be had in January and February. There is no night skiing.

AND

Some SWEET CHANGES to Hakkoda this year 2001-2002. First off....big savings. The month passes until last year included both the gondola and the lifts (2 small lifts). This year they have separated them....and the Jan OR Feb pass that was originally 16,000 yen is now only 11,500 yen for unlimited gondola rides. Ride hard and you can pay off your pass in well under 2 days!! Then the rest of the month is FREE! The bridge at the bottom of the Forest run has been widened to twice it's width so you don't have to check your speed or wait for people to clear the bridge....just fly past.

• 3 weeks later...

Montoya

the place to stay on the mt is

the Hakkouda Mt Lodge : Hakkouda Sansoo...

a single night there starts are 10,000 per person and includes two AMAZING homecooked meals....dinner and breakfast (which alone would got for about 4,000 yen together)

They can provide you with info on how to get from Aomori eki to the ropeway by bus:

check out their website: http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~h-sansou/bimi.html

Also check out the info on site: http://www.skijapanguide.com/2002/resorts/demo.php?resid=86

FYI I am putting the finishing touches on a feature article on the Hakkouda Ropeway area.... due out next Monday on SJG.

peacethruPOW

Nice writing hutch - good to finally be able to find out about that place. Worried it might not be such a secret any more are yoy?!. I know some of the Minakami boyz are hush hush about why they love Tenjindaira so much.