Would be planning to travel during this time to Nagano but still have not made up my mind where is good ?Cna anyone give me some advice on where is better ? And more enjoyable ? Shigakogen or Hakuba . Will only be me 4th time boarding and only know the basics . Never been to anywhere that is not crowded in Japan yet because i usually went on the weekends . Thanks a lot people .

I would recommend Hakuba-was there last year at the same time it was crowded-not such a problem if you can get off the trials. Shigakogen I've been to once and not offpiste or on a board-seemed good but could be full on over New Years. If you try to go where others don't you'll have a wicked day anytime here in Japan-just might have to wait longer for the lift. Ride at lunch and the late afternoon for less crowds on piste I guess. Good luck and enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Nozawa in nothern Nagano today. It was busier than most weekends, with maybe five minute waits for some lifts, but nothing to spoil your day. We bitched about it being 'crowded' today, but then we were there before the season got started and there was nobody there. I wouldn't worry about anywhere being crowded.

I was up at Hakuba for the last few days and it wasn't too bad either. Had a wild time, but it won't stop snowing over there!

Not a complaint mind.

Next up Appi Kogen!