That's what I heard too, although I haven't been. Indeed, that's one reason why I haven't been. I read that they have 'great mogul courses', a form of vandalism that only comes from lots of our friends on split snowboards.

There are few places like that - Echo Valley is another. As of last year at least, snowboarders had to pay \1,000 to be appraised by a guy on skis then get a 'snowboarder' license. Also, in the snowboard school they used ski poles, those crucial snowboarding items.

Nozawa apparently was also very snotty about snowboarders long after other places opened up to us, but although they still have maybe one run reserved for skiers, snowboarders are not made to feel unwelcome.

Personally, I think if a place doesn't want snowboarders they should say so openly, then we can avoid the place and skiers can gather there like so many hungry flies on a huge pile ... but I digress.

In terms of height of the walls (as advertised), Happo has possibly Japan's highest half pipe. It's on the Nakiyama side and the walls are said to be 5m. I've never heard of one that big anywhere else. Come April, there was a massive table top on that side of the resort as well last season.

It's probably a skiers hill because it's big, prestigious, and is popular with the folk who still go skiing. This results in lots of mogulled runs, but a good overnight fall and anyone can get down them. In terms of things like demo days for equipment, the setup is definitely pro-skier, but it's not somewhere where boarders can't have a good time. There are loads of courses and there aren't long flat sections or major climbs between lifts, for example.

I board but still love Happo on weekdays. It's massive with consistent gradients. No flats like those that plague Tsugaike and some great runs. Plus the ski patrol seem much more chilled to access to powder (compared to 47/Tsugaike), even leaving the whole top bowl open most of the time (albeit accessed by slow chairs). Sure the middle of this can get moguled if there hasn't been snow for a while, but there's usually steep powder on the far side of it. Also fewer boarders means more powder! Still, I'll be getting the 47/Goryu season pass this year as it's great value.

A boarder who loves Happo! I know I'm a freak!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I just came back from Happo-one - thought I would give it another try.....and - loads of boarders there. I got a very different impression this time from my last time, which is a good thing.

Also went to 47/Goryu which was awesome - just too much snow falling.