thinking of heading to nozawa in early january.

please let me know what are some good places to stay close to the slopes. are there different areas to stay at the bottom of the slopes, or is it mainly one area?

just curious, want to get an idea of what the town/mountain is like and where's the best area/place to stay.

thanks

sarah

Nozawa is a nice little village that cuddles round the bottom of the mountain, and that is where the vast majority of places to stay are. Charming place with many onsen, many ryokan and pensions and of course the superb snow mountain. Good choice.

Went up to Nozzle again this Sunday. More snow than the previous Sunday, so the terrain looked a good deal different, but also more grooming and more people. Moguls are beginning to form on the steeps, a most unfortunate and lamentable development. Still some good powder at the sides of the runs and at the top.

In the evening we went looking for drink and grub and went to a fav haunt called 'Kaze no Ie' in the hyperbolically named 'Nozawa Plaza' building. This is a French/Italian style wine bar with good food. However, when we got there, the mastaa told us they were all booked up for the evening although at the time there were but two girls in there, and all the other tables empty. Idiotic behaviour for a restaurateur, so I doubt we'll be going there again.

Between the skijo and the interchange we found a tolerably good pizza and pasta place on the right (in a log house). Nozzle doesn't really seem to be geared to people who are looking for refreshments before heading home - if you're not staying, there's not much room at the inn.

Thanks for posting Ocean11. Good to hear about your adventures at Nozawa.

Have you seen our recently improved Reader Review section. Click on the left hand side REVIEWS button to go there. If you get the time, please do feel free to post your resort reviews on that page to share with all!

Many thanks and Merry Christmas!

i'm staying at some place called "Matsumoto Ya". i have a really bad map, i was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good map of the nozawa town/mountain, or if anyone knows of this ryokkan.

the map shows the ryokkan's location way on one side of the mountain and it doesn't look that close.

just trying to get an idea where we're located in relation to everything.

domo

sarah

anyone know about current conditions at nozawa onsen? heading up tomorrow (friday) for a couple of days just wanted to know about snow, visibility, and forecast etc.

domo

jon

• 4 weeks later...

Noz rules.

Even if the snow wasn't perfect, last weekend was cool.

Wasn't able to "hook up" with Ocean either. Heard he's pig ugly anyway smile.gif

• 1 month later...

I really like Nozawa, but my intermediate level friend doesn't. He says the runs are either tooooo easy or tooooo difficult for him to enjoy the resort as a whole. Kind of see what he means. But a nice hill and village - one of my faves in Japan.