Quick Poll : How many days riding in Japan?

I am about to go out for the first time in Japan - new arrival - but many of you people on here seem to be really experienced.

How many times (days?) have all of you spent skiing or snowboarding at Japanese resorts in your life? Might make for an interesting read.

Cheers all

mlg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo Mlg

Like the MoodyMann sez

Don't be misled....

It's doesn't matter how many times anyone has ridden Japanese slopes or how "experienced" anyone else is. Just get out and enjoy yourself, especially if you live in one of this country's many metropolises coz the fresh air will do you good. Even if you're an absolute beginner, you won't be the only one on the hill bending at the waist and not at the knees :-D

I've been out getting on for sixty-five days total (two planks then one. I still get frustrated at being crap and not busting thru the pow quite like terje and jim rippey on those videos :-S It's just as well is boarding (skiing) is as much fun as it is. I don't think I'd go otherwise.

Hey no need to get all worked up - just thought it might be interesting to hear from people who have say spent 30 days a year for 5 years on the Japanese slopes....I am sure they have lots of good and interesting stories etc.....

Been in Japan 3 years now and had 11,14,5 days respectively skiing here. So thats 30 days out there. I am hoping to go about 20 times this season, theres just so many places that I want to try out this season.

Top of list for this year:

- 47/Goryu

- Suginihara

- Arai

- Zao

- Appi

Been skiing in Japan since November 1989. My peak season was the winter of 1991-1992 when I was able to get in 45 days of skiing at Appi Kogen and a total of 51 days skiing that season.

Since moving to the Kanto area in 1994, I average 15-20 days of skiing per season. Last big season for me was 1997-1998 when I got in 24 days of skiing.

Gary

Hi,

First rode Niseko in Feb97 for a week and that was enough to make me want to move there. Spent 3 years in Hokkaido and rode 65-70 days a season in Niseko, Asahidake and some of the smaller skijos around Hakodate. All up about 230 days.

Can't wait to get back there.

cheers.

Got out about 40-45 times last season, and the same the season before. Best resorts have to be Happo and Nozawa. Shiga is fun, but it ain`t got the anything man-made for snowboarders. Niigata(Myoko area, and Arai) is good if it snows and continues through the day, otherwise it can be a little a scanky due to wet snow.

Reccomended : Take a day off during the week, and go upto to one of the big resorts. They`ll be nigh on empty.

This is my third season in Japan.

1st season - about 10 times 'cause I was skint

2nd season - about 60 times. About forty of them were sick powder days. What a season!!

this season - so far about 17 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been out there about 20 times now this season.

Rad or what? (That ones for you Ocean).

Off to Nozawa this weekend, but a bit worried about the weather. Oh well!

rach, I was in two minds about going to Nozzle this weekend, but now I know you're going, I've made up my mind to go. It'll be ace!

How can you go out 20 times anyway?! What do you feed yourself with, snow?