I was just in another thread about Maiko Kogen in Niigata, and was just mentioning how I thought it was one of the under-rated resorts in the region. Yknow, ones that people don't go on and on about, and get kind of overlooked, but are decent and a great day out.

Other ones that come to mind are Kusatsu in Gunma and some of the places in Minakami.

Any other thoughts?

Well believe it or not, Ocean11, some people like the challenge of moguls. If you don't - that's fine.

That resorts has an enormous run and is one of those challenging resorts out there - too few of them in Japan if you ask me.

yillow, isn't Kijimadaira the one with the mental steeps? What's it like? Are the lots of those things I don't like that begin with 'm'?

I often look curiously at Kijimadaira as I go past towards Nozawa. Do tell.

Ocean, Kijimadaira - never been there, only looked?

My affection for the place has more than a bit to do with sentimental reasons.....the first resort I was taken to in Japan, met my girlfriend there, got friends who live in between Kiji and Nozawa. So my view of the place is probably a little subjective.

You can pretty much see the whole resort from the bottom and when you have come home from Nozawa surely seen it. Always seems to not have much snow looking at it, but has had decent stuff when I've been there.

Some decent slopes yeah, but the bottom parts are not too difficult. Go under the ropes and some good off-course stuff too. (Don't tell the patrol).

On a history note, if I am correct this was one of the first resorts to open up to boarders and has a fond place in many boarding dudes heart.

Oops, must go. Boss returned from lunch! More later.

Kandatsu in Yuzawa doesn't seem to get much attention. It's a decent place, especially for boarders. Not huge, but some challenging runs and park toys to play with. Reallllly convenient too (although that's not too important here of course).

Yeah, Kandatsu is actually not that bad as it has some nice off course stuff. One part might still be closed off to boarders but on the top run along the ridge (going right) you can get down 1-2 of the valleys for some nice tree runs (and not get caught as you are unseen except for under the ropes). You can make it easily back onto the main course though may have to walk a few metres at the end. Dont go down the valley under the main chair as it has a concrete dam halfway down (maybe after a lot of snow?).

Ryusutsu is perhaps under-rated - it some good off piste stuff in the valleys.

[This message has been edited by PL (edited 03 January 2002).]

Under-rated?

Hmm, Kijimadaira in Nagano, yes.

I also feel that the Myoko region should get more attention than it seems to generally (with Japanese riders too). Fantastic area with a lot to choose from.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the places in Gunma I feel are under-talked-about.

Kawaba, Oze, Marunuma - all decent places. It helps that I have nihonjin friends who live there (cheating hey?!) but decent places anyway.

Tenjindaira sucks though - the biggest disappointment ever(after all that hype)