I am spending two weeks in Hokkaido in January and am wondering if anyone can recommend a place to stay. Single room, low rates, preferred. And I don't speak Japanese, sorry to say! Would be grateful for any suggestions!

oooops whats on???? had i been drunk when i replied that?????? sorry!! (even if the hino bou pension is very nice!!!!

the cheap backpackers in hokkaido (niseko hirafu) is wazzas world! his nr is: 0901 305 25 61

say hello from me too !!

if you looking for a silent place and if you have your owne car, stay at "pension hinobou" its under the bottom lift in hakkuba cortina. verry friendly people! and pretty cheap! but they also just speak verry little english!

the phone nr is, 0261 82 3886

and say hello from ivo "the swiss guy, with the special hair, from last year"

[This message has been edited by ivo (edited 30 December 2001).]

Jake, if you're interested in staying in Sapporo there are a number of hotels to stay in that can help with the language barrier. But i think you aint gonna find cheap ones too easily. If you want to stay on-mountain I'd recommend Nisseko as they are numerous pensions(like a B+B) and bunkhouse type places to stay and a small, but very active foreigner presence(considering you're in the middle of nowhere..in Japan!) There's a cool village at Nisseko and a lot of powder and great boarding I hear(I'm still on two sticks). Nisseko is not unknown about so you can and probably will get a lot afo info here in the forum.

By the way, where from in Boston? I grew up in Marblehead. .........jim

Hey Jake,

I am looking for some of the same information. I am an American living in Korea and am planning on visiting Japan from 19-22 Jan 02. Specifically, Niseko. I am just going to fly in to Saporro and figure out how to get there. I am thinking of staying at a Pension myself. It is kinda like a Bed and Breakfast. The best part is that you will be able to meet other people and share your experiences. I did this in New Zealand and meet some great Auzzies and had people to board with the whole time I was there.

Andrew