Nothing Special at All in Japan for Advanced Skiers/Boarders

I spent a week in Nagano last month. Went to Hakuba and then to Shiga Kogen, Nozawa and on our last day went to Kijimadaira. It is near to Nozawa. As someone said in another thread on this board, there is a really steep run at this resort. But then again most runs seems steep to me!

I think the main thing in japan is that you have to search out the steeps and sometimes you have to put up with a bit of a hike or be prepared for a quick escape from the patrol.

as far as the better steep/advanced sections i've found so far, i think the run from the peak to hanazono in niseko is the best - fast, steep and with some interesting trees at the end. the only drawbacks are the hike if you take the wrong line and the volumes of people on a good day.

apart from that:

hakuba 47 has some good stuff under the quad lift,

nozawa some fun but not so steep sections around the top,

and yakebitaiyama, arai, myoko, hakusan ichirino all have some interesting stuff. While they probably aren't quite the length everyone's looking for, they're definitely heaps of fun and rarely tracked out.

On a side note, does anyone have any recommendations for good backcountry trips and good places to hire/buy gear?

Strawberry, in Hirafu, you can see it from the lift (hana 1) it is on the left side bound by biginners escape route on the far left and main trail runs on the right. Another good one is Mirahashi, especially at night.

Higashi one from the peak is good, hike is very easy 20-25 minutes. Instead of hiking out to hana 1, you can go down "Jackon" the steep bowl and ski out to bottom of Hanasono, this one is also good.

But my favorite is North side, ski down to Gsohiki onsen, and after onsen, you can ski to Annupuri after a short hike. BTW, all off piste riding requires equipment and avvy training. Too many people go in without a slightest idea how dangerous it can get.