You know, I have often suspected that Japan rules in annual snowfall. Especially in Hokkaido, where it never seems to stop...

But I am not sure what to make of snow-forecast.com's list of the "top ten snowiest"...

Do you think it means "top ten average annual snowfall", or "top ten snowfall so far this year"?

If the former, then the list seems incomplete because Whistler-Blackcomb only gets about 360 inches (914cm) per year, while many other resorts in N. America alone average lots more. For example, the Utah resorts Snowbird, Brighton etc. average 500 inches (1270cm) per year, as does Kirkwood at Tahoe, and Mt. Baker in Washington State averages an incredible 615 inches (1562cm) per year.

If the stats are for this year's accumulated snowfall only, then they don't reflect the SkiJapan Guide snowfall figures, which show Niseko with more snow than Shiga Kogen or Naeba, for example. But Niseko didn't make snow-forecast.com's list.

Maybe the list is only a ranking of the resorts covered by snow-forecast.com.

That's a great, cool site and when I saw that list myself I was going to post about it here too, but Ocean11, proving incontravertably that "great minds think alike" has saved me the trouble.

In the past I would go to resorts with a lot of snow in search of powder.

Now, with age and decrepitude setting in, I use snow-forecast.com to select the resort where I can expect my incessant crashing and falling to be cushioned by the plushest amount of white stuff...FOOM!! FWOOOSH!! OW!!!

Yeah, I was eyeing that sight to, and I think that the 10 snowiest resorts are the ten that are due to recieve the most snow in the next week according to their meteoroligical models.

If Gassan opens in April with about an 8m base, how much snow has actually fallen there over a season ignoring compression over time? I wouldn't be suprised if it was in the region of 20m!

Just to clarify our position on this....our snow depth reports come directly from the resorts themselves, and also people living and working at resorts - and on a daily basis. Snow-forecast do not have such luxuries, but do provide a great service.

Look out for more from the Snow-forecast people on SJG very soon.

We have just spoken with the people over at snow-forecast.com and asked them about this feature. It seems that the data is for snowfall over the coming 72 hours (at the resorts on their site) and is updated every day.

As we said in the previous post, expect more snow-forecast data on the pages of SJG in the next few days.

[This message has been edited by Ski Japan Guide (edited 08 January 2002).]

Hi Ocean11,

Thanks for the brutal honesty.

I am still single, and when possible I take my beer cold and my women, hot!

Lately there has been a rather unfortunate amendment to this mantra, along the lines of:

"I take my beer cold, and then another beer cold, and then another beer cold..." ad nauseam (er literally ad nauseam, on occasion...)

But things are looking up.

I've got a strong feeling that my $19 used disgusting rude brown 1-piece snowsuit with metal clasp belt, wide cream collar and bunched elastic round the waist for that extra-wide-hipped look will get me back in the good graces of the multitudes of hot women that populate the slopes and cities here in Japan.

Full report available after our Niigata debut on Sunday, Jan. 20th.