having only been up twice this season I have noticed the total lack of grooming skills by the japanese resorts. 1st @ Maranuma Kogen and then @ Kagura.

Has anyone else had similar problems? theres nothing worse than cruising then hitting a 15cm "ledge" whilst laying down a toe-side carve.

eek.gif

yah...I have not been impressed with the grooming I have seen in japan...snow quality does make a difference, but even so, they don't do a great job here...

and besides, if its crowded the cordoroid is only good for the first few runs in the morning...

danz

In almost every other country a professional groomer gets a raise every year so they come back. Here its just a job that people do, no raise no long term staff. A place I worked at had one horrible groomer. So horrible that the kiwi in charge, refused to work and fix his cat until they transfered him.

Some places do due a good job though. Takasu and dyna have some nice high spead groomers.

In general the Grooming in Japan is pretty good with a lot of drivers taking pride in what they do but at some resorts the job may not be as good as it could due to lack of experience/new drivers, time constraints, visibilty etc.

In previous years Ive worked at various resorts in Nagano and the snow at this time of year is usually easy to groom if theres a good base.

Grooming isnt as easy as most people think with a lot of concentration required usually over long periods of time. As the snow base gets deeper the grooming will also improve as there will be more snow to push around to make the runs smoother.

If you go to a place with consistantly bad grooming change resorts and find somewhere else or even better, ride in the trees.

Back in New Zealand now. Just spent the past season as a Snowboard Instructor and now looking foward to having a summer. I usually keep an eye on this site just to see how the winters going but it often makes me wish I was back there riding some good snow. Probably be back there at some stage as Ive got family/friends in Nagano but at the moment Im happy living at the beach.

Have a good winter,

Krusty

Yeah I worked in Shigakogen and in Hakuba Grooming and snowmaking and I would probably have gone back to Hakuba again as it was a great job but the area I worked at got bought out by another lift company and they dont want to employ foreigners.

• 2 weeks later...

The answer - DON'T GROOM!

I know there is a need for groomed runs, but I think the Japanese Resorts take it to the extreme. I have been to a few resorts (shizukuishi, shimokura, amihari, appi, etc..) where they groom almost everything. Unacceptable! They need to leave a few of the steeper runs untouched. There is nothing sadder than seeing a snowcat going up a run during a dump of powder.

Ocean, I've seen them winch up (appi) just to groom a run. Sad, sad, sad...

• 2 years later...