TLR, if that shop exists, I have yet to find it. Size 29 is the biggest actual boot I have seen in this country.

I'm told that some large size new model Burton boots will be available for order at the end of Feb, so if you can wait that long, call Burton Japan to find your nearest dealer and get onto them in mid-Feb. I was interested in Vans but their service in Japan doesn't exist whereas Burton's does (and their boots are actually very well made) so that's where my money's going in Feb, if I have any left by then.

Had the same problem last year. No luck in Kanda unfortunately. Best way is to pick em up next time youre out of the country. If youre sure of your size/model you want, you can always order it from the web and have it shipped. If you need a wide board, forget about renting that as well. Just not equipped for us big gaijin at most places here...

Sorry can't be of much help to here at all TLR, but just thought I would take this oppurtunity to make a comment on an observation I have made that is related to this topic.

Has anybody noticed how many posts there are relating to where can you get big boots, big boards etc? There seem to be many. This observation may be of course that becasue they are so close too home and I can relate better to them than my family than I feel that there are many.

I wonder if our friends at SJG have any info or reviews on where to shop or how to get etc. I did have a look in the services -> gear part of this site, but didn't find much. If there isn't anything, how about this as an idea for a feature topic next year?(I know us big footed tall people maybe kind've a minority, but finding gear that fits really is a stressful experience that any help can make the shrink bill just that little much less.)

Well that was my 2c worth.

Good luck TLR!

[This message has been edited by mogski (edited 14 January 2002).]

Mogski

Yes, it is a good idea and we do hope and plan to cover stuff like this. The Gear & Services page is new this season, and something that is near the top of the list of "to be developed" features.

If anyone does have any useful info on this subject, then please do email us at editor@skijapanguide.com.

Thanks!

Not much help now I guess, but when I was trying on probably the last pair of large size performance boots in Japan, a pair of 29cm Raichle's last night(found out over the weekend that the pain from my old boots can only be put up with so much) the guy at the store(Knada Minami City-7) was telling me that if you want big boots and you know what you want you need to tell the shops way in advance before the begining of the season so they can have the Japanese rep. company order them at the time of placing their other orders. Sort of like a special custom order that can be thrown in with the rest of the main order.

It would appear that many Japanese rep companies only have one chance to order for a season. Being money hungry they tend to ignore the small and large sizes in order to offset these numbers by bringing in loads of the mainstream sizes. Can't see the logic behind this one much as they end up saturating the market with mainstream sizes and selling them at huge discounts at the end of the season, but this appears to be what the situation is.

As much as I appreciated this advice it really leaves us big footed peoples none the better off because you still have to know what you want without trying and making sure that they really are what you want.

Kind'a means that in having the boots ordered by a shop you are forced into purchasing even if it is not what you want. If it were the begining of the season perhaps this would not be the case, but nonetheless you probably wouldn't be very welcome back at the store until they can sell your unwanted order.

The boots I mentioned at the top there, I got lucky; they fit. I subsequently purchased them and hope to enjoy pain free skiing again. However, I beleive these being avaible was the result of many unfortunate factors for the shop. 1. The shop is on a basement floor meaning little foot traffic & 2. The Flexon boots still have yet to really take off this season.

I thank whoever or whatever for my size being available, but at the same time I should not need too. It shouldn't be like this. WHen will it be that the stores realise the diverstiy in peoples feet sizes and the that the needs are there.

Anyway, enough rambling. Hokkaido; here I come!