Just wondering what the most ridiculous get-up anyone has seen on the slopes is. I saw some guy skiing (did I need to say that?) in a sort-of skintight leopard suit, complete with ears and a tail. I think the evil bastard was just trying to cause people to crash though, judging by the grin on his face (and the havoc left behind him)

But more ridiculous in a way was the huge Union Jack on some obaasan's back. I can understand Swiss or Austrian flags, but honestly. I mean, Britain isn't exactly going to top the medals table in Salt Lake City is it?

Does anyone remember Eddy 'The Eagle' Edwards? I hope not.

BTW, this is coming from a Brit.

In Japan you can buy boxes of condoms (Michiko London's) with the Union Jack on them. This in spite of the persistently high rate of teenage pregnancies in the UK, which would suggest that we're hardly the most responsible nation when it comes to contraception.

Best Union Jack story of late was that the UK Embassy here has complained to the Japanese riot police. In their preparations for the World Cup, the boys in blue have been practicing baton charges on groups of Japanese students holding Union Jacks.

Like the man sayz, in spite of being a country with no mountains over 1400m, Britain has a rich tradition of mountaineering and mountain sports. First ascent of the Matterhorn and many other peaks in the Alps etc. Kind of funny when you think about it.

I saw a gaijin on the slopes yesterday in Happo-one wearing a big bear hat, big bear hand gloves (about 30cm long paws) and covers over his ski boots that looked like "bear foot paws" (?!).

He looked an absolute jerk-off, but he seemed pleased enough with himself anyway......