...as in where to avoid? I am new to Japan and hear about some good places, but not really about where NOT to go by accident. Would be interesting to hear of any bad stories about terrible resorts out there to avoid. Any stories anyone?

As of last year, Echo Valley in the Tateshina area were charging to use the carpark on weekends and holidays, and if you're a snowboarder, you have to go through the routine where some git on skis watches you for about a minute and then issues you with a snowboarder's license which costs you 1,000 yen. Doesn't matter how good or bad you are, you still have to do it, and funnily enough, you always pass! (And some people still wonder why I go on about introducing snowboarder only resorts...)

The pay 1000 yen to park your car policy of most resorts gets on my nerves BIG TIME too.

mad.gif

Luckily many of them - in an attempt to scramble some business from a dwindling number of riders - are throwing that horrendously overpriced and terrible policy out the window.

I was at Onikoube on Saturday, after a good dump of snow it usually takes them a while to get the top half opened up,.... but sat. was as mad as you like!! They stopped all the lifts unitl about 11:30 (with a 10min spell of operation which left me half way up the mt. for 30 mins standing about!! ) because a few cracks of thunder and flash of lightening!! Maybe it is better to be safe than sorry, but the chances of freezing to death have to higher than being hit by lightening??? Would you be more likely to be hit by lightning stood on an open piste holding ski poles or whilst sitting on a chair gliding throught the air???? Not sure but I was p#?$ed off waiting!!

Geto on Sunday had great powder, but a litte wind blown in places, and APPI had decent snow and A+ perfect weather all day on Monday, it looks like still have a pair of white goggles over my sun tanned face..... and still so early in the season!!

Anyone else hit the slopes on Monday?

Yeah I went out to Dynaland, not the best conditions.

My worst horror story is less to do with the resort as the weather. Got "stuck" up the top of Zao 2 seasons ago, well frightning.

I find that Prince resorts (esp the hotels) treat riders like crap - even though they are one of the biggest operators in Japan. How can they get away with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Them turning off the eleccy on some lifts just because of:

- a bit of wind

or even worse...

- not enough people there to justify opening some lifts

Makes me so mad.