new here - which is easier to pick up, skiing or boarding?

Hey I have never been out on the mountain to ride snow and was wondering before I take the plunge which was the easier and more fun of the 2? I must choose one to buy the equipment and am inclined to choose a board, but not made up my mind quite yet!

Thank you.

jest get a snowboard.

you'll thank yourself.

most people who leave the sticks behind

for a snowboard, never go back.

myself included. after the first day

of riding, I never picked up skis again.

You can pick up snowboarding with a bit of guidance from a friend really quickly. I had a first sesh of about 2 hr at a really small local place, then a coupla weeks to recover from the bum-ache and the pain in my arms from cranking myself off the deck every 2 min. After the break I went for a daytrip to a bigger resort and was riding happily although not well for the whole day. On my next coupla trips I picked up turns and was on my way.

I really really don't think you could do that with skiing, although let some skier have their say.

Oh, and if you're going to get the kit, might as well get a helmet too. It might save you a lot of grief.

hey lineski, are funskis any use in powder? I can't see it somehow...

skiboards do float in powder!

i was a boarder for 5 years and tried skiboard for fun last season. just one morning in hakuba47, i picked up the sport and carved shoulder-to-the-ground! afternoon? i started to jump!!

another things i like about skiboard besides the instant fun ride is the gear is cheaper and easy to carry when you travel!

peace&cheers!

Avid skier, but my vote goes to boarding. Don't know if it is easy to pick up or what but certainly makes you wallet look alot healthier when kitting yourself out.

lineski, does that mean once the word gets out we'll all be on little skis? What d'you reckon?

Actually, I wouldn't mind trying them myself. Hey, there's an idea - wouldn't it be good if resorts had some sort of kit trial thing, preferably for free. If someplace offered me the chance to try funskis for a morning for the price of a lift ticket, I'd make the effort to go to that resort even if everything else were crap. I'd probably take my board and make it a day thing anyway.

yo man, i'm not suggesting skiboard will take the place of snowboard, nor ski.

just like inline skating can't replace skateboarding.different people ride on different gear to do different things!

bruce lee said,"kung-fu is a finger pointing to the moon,but if you keep looking at the finger,you won't be able to see the beautiful moon!"

just a thought.

peace&cheers.

Quote:
Originally posted by lineski:
i was a boarder for 5 years and tried skiboard for fun last season. just one morning in hakuba47, i picked up the sport and carved shoulder-to-the-ground! afternoon? i started to jump!!

just say first to "ski or board", that you learned how to ski before you changed to the snowboard for 5 years!
(haven't you?)

you need more time to control ski's than to control a board. so it's easier to learn how to snowboard! the best way to get some basics is to go to a snowboard school, your bum will thank you!
it's also much cheaper if you rent a snowborad! (why should you buy something, you just like to try??)

... get the snowboard. you should buy a descent set up (mid range price)... and try to use the crap out of it for one or two seasons and upgrade to a higher performance set up ..once you start getting better... it only takes one or two sessions and you'll be up and riding in no time.