First time in Asia, first time in Japan. I ski New England (grew up skiing the Alps & Scandinavia). I'm going to be in Tokyo the first weekend in Feb. I've got the weekend only. Where to go, & how to get there (I think train sounds best)? Bringing my own gear across the world, because I can & company is paying. Just want some pow (if likely), as few people as possible, and decent vert. Checked out the links to Nagano locations, & looks ok. Any hints or suggestions welcome. P.S. I'm willing to travel up to 4 hrs, as long as it's challenging. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Just a bit of advice:

Read through lots of the posts on this Forum.

Read the resort reviews.

Read the features.

Lots of info already on here, you might find that people don't post the same info again.

Been doing that. Will keep doing that. As a soon-to-be stranger in a strange land, I'm just trying to cut to the chase. I'd love to head up to Hokaido (sp?), but don't think I'll have the time. With so many destinations, & no "name recognition" (to me), I'm trying to narrow the choices. This site is great, but it's almost overload to the uninformed. Nothing on US websites or bookshelves that I have been able to find is useful in any way. I can get reviews & opinions on Croatia, Switzerland, Andorra, & Chile, but not Japan. Just lookin' for some info before I haul my X-Screams 6,000 miles each way.

[This message has been edited by perswede (edited 15 January 2002).]

I think our friend red was a bit overboard there, but you know if there was less info here, people would complain. Always going to be someone.....

I think you can find an intro in the General Info section of the site somewhere.

Anyway, the big names to look for are Niseko, Zao, Appi, Yuzawa, Naeba, Hakuba, Shiga Kogen, Nozawa, and a few places down further (but you probably won't want to go down there - no offence all you down there peeps!)

Good luck

No worries. Red's comment wasn't offending, & even if it was, we vikings have thick skin. Hakuba, Zao, & Niseko seem to have promise. It's just hard to sort out the bunny slopes from the real mountains on this site, unless you know what you're looking for. I know it's kind of a silly question ( like "what's the best thing to see in Europe), but I figured I'd try. I just like to ski if I can wherever I go.