What has happened to slope manners?

Anyone have anything to say on the issue of slope manners in Japan.

The otherday I nearly killed a couple of skiers and a snowboarder - on purpose of course! What`s the deal with all these people sitting around waiting on ridges? Why do Japanese skiers and snowboarders feel they have to stop every 15 meters?

I was at Iwatake on Saturday, there was a bit of queue for the semi-snowboard park at the bottom. The wait was made longer by the fact that everytime anyone went to take on the table-top, some stupid skier/boarder would decide to board/ski straight across the approach. A group of skiers even decided that the top of the table-top would be a good place to stop and check out the scenery, failing to notice the group of 20 or so boarders who were waiting there turn.

Also, what`s the deal with these "technique improvement freaks". Narrow slopes are not the place to be doing 90 degree pretty turns across the slope. The other day, some guy(wearing about 200,000 yens worth of Burton equipment) decided on a busy narrow slope that he would take the opportunity to practice trying to board up the slope. Long 90 degree turns. Impossible to have seen him coming, scraped my board to hell.

WHAT HAPPENED TO COMMON-SENSE ON THE SLOPES?

You sound pretty mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif my friend.

There are some gits on the slopes, but aren't there everywhere? Maybe even much more so than you find here in Japan. You must admit that most Japanese are not exactly dangerous demons on the slopes....if anything like you say, there is the "stopping to observe" time that they seem to love to take.

Sorry to hear about your board.

Yeah, there are some real eccentrics out there. I feel a list coming on:

Big snowplough carving on skis

Families or groups doing the snake thing on skis

Boarders practising exaggerated carving with batty arm movements

Boarders walking with board tucked crossways across their backs

Smoking tabs on the gelende

Admiring the scenery in the middle of the gelende

Waiting so you can sit on your own on the quad

Standing on other people's ride in the queue

Skiing uphill

Performing a tidy little U-turn and halt without looking back first

Good to hear that I`m not the only one experiencing frustration. Don`t get me wrong, I`m not on any mission to kill all Japanese skiers - I was just a little bit miffed about having my board re-designed by a `technique improvement freak`.

P.S. Hutch, sorry wrong guy!

I find the Japanese to have amazingly good slope manners...much more than my experience in the US with all those Americans on the slopes. (That was a joke by the way). Apart from the stopping at the top of the hill to take in the views and have a fag and get in the way a bit, I think the Japanese slopes are the best behaved I can remember.

34, you're such a bigot! You're so homophobic calling gays 'fags', and it's totally offensive of you referring to Japanese as 'slopes'. Really, you must have had some bad experiences as a child or something...

• 2 weeks later...

I actually find manners on the Japanese mountains to be reall good. Yeah people don't speak with you and ignore you on the whole, but they are polite! Even when they have drunk their lunchtime beer.