Does anyone know when/where they are going to hold the Japan Winter X-Games (Core Games) this season?

Last year all the big names were here...CR Johnson, Tanner Hall, one of the Phillipes.

peacethruPOW

Yeah I spoke to some dude in a snowboard shop and he said that they might be havin` a slopestyle comp at Happo (dunno how much truth is in that) But I just read the article in Decembers edition of Powder about the shit that went down at the Core games last year. So I don`t know whether any of those pros will be back after that.

barok, from what I heard, there was a lot of cat skiing going on on the sidelines, and it sickened a lot of people. The big names are all real cat lovers, so the future of Core in Japan is surely in doubt...

What happened? Try an entire crowd witnessing what seemed to be the end of a career and life for one of the skiboard pros. He went off balance mid-air on the big air super comp.

The guy just ragged-dolled on down the slope motionless. His limbs were like meat and flailing all over the place. It was pretty horific.

As if this was not horific enough, there were no medical teams anywhere to be found at the event. This guy was just laying there for over half an hour with a whole bunch of teeth sucking, head scratching Japanese officials standing round bewildered as to what to do. Finally someone decided that a doctor should be sought and an annoucnement was made asking for doctors in the crowd to come forward. There were none. Anyway, 30 mins later the guy was carried off in a stretcher, to where nobody knew, living or dead nobody knew. The other atheletes having found out that there were no medical teams on standby, refused to compete furhter and the games came to an abrupt, but in hindsight correct end.

I have a vivid memory of Tanner Hall releasing his anger and frustration at the whole thing on the crowd and shouting out to all of us to go home.(The skiboarder is a mate of his)

It turns out the guy just got badly concussed and a severe neck sprain.

From a spectators point of view this international event, well run well, was highly unprepared and kind'a set home truths about how much the Japanese ski/snowboard industry seems unprepared to enbrace the new trends in the sport.

I read the same article....

I heard that the event was supremely well run except for that incident....doesn't surprise me one bit though.

Seems that Japan is willing to offer up major purses to attract the bigair crew....Toyota bigair in Sapporo has a $100,000 purse from what I heard! .... kinda like Japan's foreign policy..... put up crap loads of coin but don't back it up with much concrete visible presence.

It'd be sweet if SJG posted more stuff on the Japanese athletes in the bigair scene......anyone know enuf out there to write a feature article????