Anyone else out there have FATS or even MID-FATS?

Got Atomic Deep Powder 130mm (tip to tail)180cm

wondering if there are any other deep POW freaks out there?

Do you have fat ski brakes? Did you also have trouble finding somewhere to set your binding?

How do you find they ride?

hey hutch...

I once demoed the Rossi Bandit XX

(maybe last year)...I think those are

in the mid-fat range...didn't have much

pow to ride at the time, so can't comment

on how they handle in those conditions...

on the rest of the mountain, i found them

very unresponsive...couldn't find any radius

that really worked for those skiis...had more

fun on the salamon xscreams (are those mid-fats too??)...

for now i'm still riding my sl skiis...

danz

on the aomori iwate border

ski Hakkoda POW

here until the summer then off following the POW round the world.....home town is in BC

where's home?

every seen anyone on FATS?? If you can keep up with snowboarders in POW on your regular shaped you're likely to FLY on the FATS.

NAC (Niseko Adventure Centre) has some of the same Atomic Deep Powder skis on serious sale at only 2 man: http://www.nac-web.com/

yo...

before japan spent 6yrs in boston...

had the pleasure of skiing the finest

blue ice in the world around New Englan

...if it snowed like 10cm, that would be a good powder day...man made snow grows on

you, I already miss it in a wierd twisted

way...

but...love the pow...need the pow...can't

get enough of the pow...japan has been good

to me so far (7 days on snow, 4 of them pow pow days)

hey...could you point me to a more specific

link about those atomics?? i couldn't

find it on the website...very interesting...

danz

------------------

pray for snow

Salomon PocketRocket's 185cm - FAT as fat can be! So twin tipped that it would be pretty hard to tell the front from the back if it weren't for the ever so kind arrow pointing up.

Haven't had the chance to try 'em in powder yet, but will report after Hokkaido trip in Feb. Pretty sweet on the hard stuff though.

Let the snow fall!

Snowboarders actually reading this topic?....what's going on??? Tell me those that TURNED years back from the toothpix to the toungedepressor aren't just a little interested in riding FATS.....these things are FAT FAT FAT.....even puts the pocket rockets to shame (FYI Hakkoda's RENTALS this year are the pocket rocket.....tells you a bit 'bout the mt eh?)

..... so just how fat do boards get?

Think you could handle two FAT edges instead of one?

Snowboarders actually reading this topic?....what's going on??? Tell me those that TURNED years back from the toothpix to the toungedepressor aren't just a little interested in riding FATS.....these things are FAT FAT FAT.....even puts the pocket rockets to shame (FYI Hakkoda's RENTALS this year are the pocket rocket.....tells you a bit 'bout the mt eh?)

..... so just how fat do boards get?

Think you could handle two FAT edges instead of one?

Anyone seen anywhere selling/showboating the new Volants???

Shane McConkey's making..... the Spatula (sp?) fat at the tip....even fatter at the centre and think at the tail. Much like a pair of water skis......taking the weight where you need it most to float.

I heard they'd be out for next season ......as per the pic and expl in POWDER at couple of months ago.

so i wanna know more about these fatties...

are they only good in the pow??

what happens when you take them on

hard-pack, cordoried, ice, crud...

what am i getting at...are fatties as

good as having an all mtn. ski?? or are

they a 1 dimensional tool...

ski equip is EXPENSIVE!! frown.gif

gotta choose wisely...

thanks...

danz

------------------

pray for snow

hutch, we have to keep an eye on what the enemy is up to. It looks like you're planning some incursions into boarder territory with those fat skis. Be warned though, my powder trails at Nozzle are protected with Claymores.

I see danz in hiz pants is hankering after the powder skis too, but the ski stuff is all just too costly like weez boardaz iz long bin sayin. Personally, I have a bunch of boards for whatever kind of riding takes me fancy...

Well, as you were. One of us fat board people will be checking in on yous from time to time...

danz, you could pay maybe 50,000 yen for a board and the same again for boots/bindings. But you'd be the biggest sucker if you did.

There are sales on all the time, and you don't NEED high-end kit. You can get sorted out with the basics for around 60,000 yen or less - and it still works fine.

so is there no real distinction between

high-end boarding equipment and mid-range...

in skiing, its like the difference between

driving a Ferrari v. a Pinto...pressuring

the ski is like stepping on the gas pedal...

definetly performance affects cost...

how bout for boarding?

The Salomon Xcreams (men's) are selling for about $600 right now at backcountry.com quite possibly the best all-mt ski of all time....and most defintely the best selling ski in history. decent salamon titanium 900+ series bindings can be had at about $200 ....and that's top of the line

You can find cheap FATS at about $200-$300....as they are seriously a novelty item for deep POW dayz.....don't want to ride them on crud. Worth having for those amazing deep days of 30cm+

the deal is the same for skis or snowboards. A high end snowboard (just bought a burton cascade) gives an amazing ride compared to lesser models. The cascade, great in powder, but still holds its own on hardpack, crud, cordouroy. For unpredictable mixed conditions, hard to beat, unlike cheaper models. Just like skis, really.

As for the price, it cost more with a 30% discount than the aforementioned skis.

If you check out the stores, skis and snowboards cover the same price range.

Ocean11, have you ever tried skiing, fats, or telemarking?

miteyak, as I've said on another thread, two planks never appealed to me, so I stayed away from winter sports until last year. Never tried skiing. Hell, it might even be fun. I'd like to try fun skis, as one of the big turn-offs of skiing is having to hold poles.

But I bought an Airwalk Champ for about 30,000 yen (more than half of which was shipping!), and all of what you say about your Burton applies. Unless we swapped boards, we don't know if it applies more to yours than it does to mine. I imagine that above a certain price point, you're going to get something that works, and having forked out the money, you're not going to let yourself be too dissatisfied. Of course, I'd like to ride a few top-end boards to test out what is only a theory.