the first few weeks in tokyo where hate!!!

i had allready some japanese friends, but they where too busy, i felt alone and had too many really strange experiances.

after i made some new friends and i found my "homebar" in shibuya i felt more and more confortable.

then i went traveling and snowboarding, i start to like japan.

now, since i'm back home i miss japan.

but it could be possible that i hate japan again when i come back.

Yo Loi

That is one cool icon man !

How do you do that one ? It's not on the SJG list. I read somewhere that UBB supports 14 in all. Anybody know where there's a list...Cheers

(Mega blizzard at 47 today. All lifts went out of operation just after 3. From the top of the quad it was impossible to go right towards r2 and r3. Really wild weather)

Just read one of the threads about the Olympics and the way that the coverage is 99% "our boys and girls" (ie. the Japanese team).

That overwhelmingly bias coverage of any sporting event gets on my nerves real bad. It just comes across as so ugly.

And stupid.

• 4 weeks later...

And didn't they do well! It's always interesting to know all about the 17th place getter-share their tears and all that. All countries will inevitably focus on their own participants but the coverage of actual place getters and events not including Japanese athletes seems particulaly bad. Back to the original thread-love and hate depending on the day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure I can express what I think good or not, but gimme a try - remember, my mother tongue is Japanese!

When I watch some soccer games on TV, Japanese cheering parties always yell only to Japanese team even when the other team shows cool plays. Other nations give warm applause when the other teams shows cool plays. Perhaps Japanese people can't be honest for our feeling, emotion. Long story, guess probably our history causes it.

Samurai had katana in Edo era and normal people always had to get scared with them. Japan was a natinalism country before WW2 as everyone knows. So normal people did not permitted to express their own thought in public. If they did, they got arrested. So normal people needed to hide their feeling, emotion. I think that character still survives in Japanese comunity. Maybe that's why Japanese people yell only to Japanese team in olympic games, soccer games etc?

Unique people like me sometimes tend to be isolated in Japanese community.

But anyway I have never lived abroad, so exactly don't know the difference between outside Japan and inside to live on. Just know something as informations hearing some frown.gif

Been here for 3 years now, got to go back in another 1. Generally love the place, but I suppose you tend to when you live the expat life! Not too sure if I have "seen" the real Japan or not.

Live in Tokyo.

Wife and child.

Expat benefits - great apartment complete with maid.

Work for foreign investment bank.

Travel a lot overseas on business.

Go home twice a year.

Entertainment in Tokyo.

Rarely go out of Tokyo.

No, not eyes closed - just "know Tokyo" and my environment. From what I can gather, people living out of Tokyo in the country and smaller towns experience Japan in a very different way than I do.

That's the point, there's no such thing. Anything and everything that goes on in Japan is the 'real' Japan - including gaijin hi-jinks. You can immerse yourself in the ancient arts while you wear hakama around Kyoto, but it's no more real Japan than buying a bottle of Two Dogs with yen in Lawson.

Of course, if you've never been out of Tokyo, you won't have seen a good portion of some other Japanese reality...

[This message has been edited by Ocean11 (edited 21 March 2002).]

I love Japan. I love the country and the people, especially Hokkaido. I have visited 4 times in 2 years when I have holidays. I am even beginning to learn Japanese.

Got caught out with the old ATM problem the other day. Just cannot understand why the blimmin things close down after early evening. Makes me right mad, it does that.