Getting this out of the way first - I am a skier, sometime telemarker.

Was just wondering,..seen a few comments about ski fashions on this board (first time posting! been reading for 2 years.....) from boarding dudes and was just wondering about the boarding dude fashion and what they all thought about that and why it's so much better than

The boarder fashion just seems so scruffy and street - trying too hard.

Any thoughts, boarder dudes (who I have absolutely nothing against, by the way!)

cheers

QUOTE:

Was just wondering,..seen a few comments about ski fashions on this board (first time posting! been reading for 2 years.....) from boarding dudes and was just wondering about the boarding dude fashion and what they all thought about that and why it's so much better than

I don't get this question.

monkeyz, you don't finish your sentence.

What are you trying to say here ?

well I would definately have to disagree

with what you say is boarders trying too

hard. fact is. . . most boarders don't

have the cash flow that skiers do (evidence

for this is the price of skis, bindings,

and boots compared to the price of a board,

boots and bindings - you can pay over 1000 US

for a pair of skis alone, while boards

top out at around 550 US) so instead of the

neon green, pink and blue matching pants and

parka, or the skin-tight one piece with the

fur lining, alot of boarders bring their

streatwear to the hill.

I think the street fashion is a roots thing.

boarders are way more punk-rock than skiers

ever were. in the early days, boarders were

allowed at only a few of the major resorts

anywhere, then it was poor grubby kids

trying to clip lift tix

in the parking lots, boarders walking up

the hills, or in some cases (loveland

pass, colorado being a famous example) taking turns trucking each other up the hill.

While there is certainly big money in the

board fashion today, boarders were on their

own for a long time. skiers always had

poshy rich european companies to market

fashions, and olympic athletes to test them.

snowboarders have had to do it themselves

all along the way. so the fashion is wayyy

more individualistic and progressive. I

still make alot of my own boardwear.

but hey, if you like lining the pockets

of rich euros who tell you what to wear,

that's just fine.

i really don't pay attention

to what the skiers are wearing when I fly

by them.

Well, monkeyz, since you seem to have a genuine urge to learn, I'll tell you.

It's the difference between 70s fashion and 90s fashion. Skiwear is tight-fitting and flashy, using gaily coloured materials that are proud to be man-made. It's modeled on the sort of clothes you'd wear for a night under the crystal globe with the BeeGees. Boardwear though looks like natural fibre even if it isn't and the colours are more subdued. The style is low key and casual.

Now if you take any real dork, male or female, and dress them in a pair of baggy cargo trousers, already they start to look a little cool. However, put a real dork in a pair of tight fitting shiny red 'pants' with flared bottoms and they look completely, painfully stupid. Check out the skier who graces the background of every SJG page.

I have to admit when I see a skier in nasty togs doing their thing really well, I sometimes think they look cool enough, but most skiers aren't that good. And there you have it - if you dress somebody up in 70s clothes and they're pretty cool anyway, it doesn't actually do them any harm. It's a high pressure fashion look that takes a lot of living up to. But because 90s fashion is intrinsically casual and not all 'show off your codpiece' macho looking, you can get away with sprawling around in powder with your feet in the air and not look like someone who is dressed beyond their capabilities. I think that might also be one reason why skiers will affect bunny ears and bearpaw gloves - they know they look ridiculous already and are just taking it a step further.

Because boardwear is not designed to be a suit, you can mix some genuine streetwear with it, especially if you're playing fairweather gelende. Of course some people take the fashion angle too seriously and become victims, but I can't help but remember how nearly everybody looked like a fashion victim in the 70s. I just didn't know what to do when my mother came home with a pair of tartan flares for me and told me that's all she could find in the shops these days. The damn things kept getting caught in my bike chain.

Well I hope that clears a few things up for you monkeyz. Of course, I'd be delighted to hear your take on it all...

thats just great ocean11...

you've really nailed it this time...

skiers are dorks

boarders are cool...

yes...most skiers in japan for some reason

are stuck with their neon outfits from

the 80's...but i challenge you to find a

pair of green stretch pants in any ski shop

these days...

get over it boarders...modern ski wear is

not the monster you think it is...

ocean11...were you abused by a skier as

child?? did they "touch you..."?? you really

seem to have a major quibble with us...

danz

danz! DANZ! Down boy.

Read it again.

It says

70s fashion = mostly dorky

90s fashion = pretty cool.

Then it says

skiwear = 70s style,

boardwear = 90s style.

It does NOT say

skiers = dorks.

uakattakanaa...?

And danz, I've seen the new skiwear and it makes people look like ... fishermen. Just stick a sou'wester on 'em and they wouldn't look out of place on a trawler. buawahahahaha!

Not psycho-anal-izing (:rolleyes smile.gif you at all, just telling it as it is after reading your banter for a few months now.

You obviously have an off-balance hatred for skiers for some silly reason. That's fine, but please admit it will you?

This is fun!

I think it's a bit rough on the 1970s comparing skiwear with 70s fashions.

The 70s were cool ! All those nostaglia programs always dig up crap british glam rock/osmonds and flares as if that's all there was, but there was a helluva lot going on back then, with outstanding music even in the mainstream.

The decade for true anal retention was the 80s, the time of yuppies, Reagan/Thatcher, "just say no", flashy fashion like Gautier, and god-awful overproduced music (club music and stuff like the Smiths excepted). Culturally bankrupt times of money uber alles.

Apart from gentems, the coolest board I've seen is the old Burton Custom with the "Shaft" design from a couple of years back. The yellow, not the grey one. Always reminds me of the Simpsons Japan episode where Bart does "Shaft" at karaoke. "Listen to the man !"

Most of the music I listen to is 70s stuff - Television's Marquee Moon album is often in my tape slot when I head for the hills, but you can't knock the BeeGees either (much). The threads were often pretty awful though, and that carried well into the 80s.

34, I'm totally off balance generally and I have psychotic episodes when I see skiers going anywhere off piste. It's common to see me yelling from the chairlift at Nozawa "GET OUT OF MY POWDER NOW YOU HORRIBLE POOFTER!" and I go looking for them when I've finished my wallowing. Oh I admit it alright, I'm a full-on nutter. Are you happy now?! What's your home address?

The "in" boarder dude look just looks scruffy, dropouts, trying to be too cool and street.

What's the difference between last year's fashion for boarders and this season? Anything?

golly golly...Im a dropout who wears my burton cargo's half way down my butt with my boom hoodie just covering my boxer shorts which keeps my ass warm, I wear my dcshoecousa bennie with my spy goggles(strictly no sunglasses) over the top to cover my identity!! but im not a snowboarder..I am 100% skier.

ocean11..I would kill to go skiing with a psychotic snowboarder who hates skiers, bit of 'slipping' rivalry is always fun!

any skier going through powder deserves respect, Ocean 11, it aint easy like on a snowboard, I know, I've done both. As for fashion, boarders and skiers fashions are both kinda ridiculous methinks. Functional mountaineering gear wins every time, and you can use it when you do the real thing, too.

From my point of view, the height of onslope fashion this year is my brand-new used disgusting brown one-piece 1980's women's snowmobile suit with giant revolting cream collar, dirty white reflective strips, bunched-elastic waist, and fake leather clasp belt now cracked and moldy from hanging neglected in Joe's Surplus Store in Plymouth, Michigan for over 10 years.

Thanks to my dear sister, Good Girl, the best bikin' n boardin' bitch in Walled Lake, for this $19.99 Xmas gift.

The best gift I've gotten since the year they gave me a Lite-Brite AND a Spirograph all at once.

badmigraine, what did you give your sister in return?

golly, I'd say that boarder fashion is going in two directions at the same time - some folks are going for a cleaner, more gentrified look (most particularly the girls), while others are going for a very unhygenic, gangsta anti-style (mostly boys, but a few tom-boys too). There was the same trend apparent last year, but the gangstas are just dirtier this year. Also, brown jumpsuits with cream collars and wasp-waists are set to sweep the white catwalks soon...

I have to step out of character here for a moment and confess that sometimes in the cafeteria, you can't tell from their clothes what people are riding unless you look down at their boots. (Hey, don't tell danz I said that now!) rolleyes.gif

golly! You got me there, I am!

I thought having lost me job here that I'd be banished from Naggers, but it looks like I've just found me another one here even closer to the slopes, so for today at least, I could hug somebody even if they had plastic robot boots on their feet.

Currently I'm a neurosurgeon at Suwa Red Cross Hospital, but everyone's brain-dead recently. But I've always had an interest in gynecology and I've found a private clinic in Matsumoto that's agreed to let me get my hand in.

It should cut 30 mins off my travel time to the powder and allow me to get some extra zzz's in.