was up at nozawa onsen this weekend...

spring skiing conditions...not right

for the middle of january...

bottom half of the mtn. was all sugar

still good coverage overall, but it needs

to get cold, or else theres going to be trouble smile.gif

also, totally empty this weekend...no crowds

anywhere...and also , NO JPOP! YEE HAW...

one thing i still don't understand (echoing

some previous posts) is why they rope off

some of those trailss..the tree run underneath the quad at the top is completly

safe...you can scout the ENTIRE run from the

lift, but they rope it off...pointless...

i saw a guy duck in, and the patrollers were

yelling at him from their little room with the PA system...it was hilarious, i thought

i was at the beach or something getting yelled at by the lifeguard...completely useless...

anyway, good mtn., nice little town...needs

more snow....

peace,

danz

------------------

pray for snow

Normally they don't even bother yelling at you up there. Been down that run repeatedly, with no attempt at pursuit.

There's some filthy wet snow falling around Matsumoto at the moment that changed from very heavy rain at lunchtime. This season was looking good until a few weeks ago. I wonder if this mix of hot and cold adds to the danger of avalanches...

Ocean11, I guess you don't mean "filthy" snow as in "wicked" snow? Yeh, here in the Western boondocks of Japan we've seen THE BEST start to Dec./Jan. in decades virtually wiped out in a week. Most places have lost a metre or more. Can't believe 2 weeks ago I was in beeyuutiful dumps of powder and now April slush abounds. What gives? The coldest Jan. week in 20 years turned to the warmest Jan week in 40 years. Tears upon tears and my wife says she can't stand the whining anymore so for the sake of domestic bliss this next blast better dump BIG. please.

snobee, I'm sorry to say it, but what I mean by 'filthy' is more along the lines of gross, irksome, polluting. Rather than floating down, it drops with the speed of diarrhea. You can almost hear each flake go 'splat'. Better omen than rain I suppose, but snow in town is just a big inconvenience.

My elbow still hurts from skidding off my bike on iced-over snow two weeks ago. I looked for the edge to control my slide, but sadly bike tyres don't have 'em.

Ocean11,

Matsumoto, is that close to Nozawa Onsen? What would the snow be like off-piste at Nozawa this weekend? Is it worth going so close after all that rain and slush do you reckon?

Cheers,

Jinja

hey jinja...

i wouldn't go offpiste at nozawa

until there is another significant dump...

top layer is crappy and not deep...

underneath is pure nastiness from repeated

freeze/thaw conditions...

save yourself the trouble...

danz

------------------

pray for snow

Jinja, Nozzle is a good ways north of Matsupon, so it's hard to read the weather at that distance. It might be great by the weekend, but as danz suggests it might also be awful. I'm wondering about 'weather' to go up there myself or just go to somewhere fairly crap and close like Norikura just to get my fix. If you're coming from afar, wait for the really good snow and you won't regret it.

But danz, if you go up to Nozzle, let me know, and we'll ride together like brothers, bullsh!t board postings notwithstanding.

Is this really happening??

doth my eyes decieve me??

a peace offering from ocean11...

I'm flattered...

i will certainly call upon you if i head

that way again...but i will be incognito

during feb....going back home for a few weeks...so you must wait till march..

peace

danz

------------------

pray for snow

I don`t know what the fuss is all about. Yeah the conditons at Nozawa aren`t as good as they could be, but at the same time they aren`t terrible. I was up there on Sunday, hardly anyone about, got 4 awesome runs in on the Skyline in the morning. Was well happy!

Lets just remember that it ain`t gonna be waist high conditions all the time. I`m just happy that I live near a resort like Nozawa. Spare a thought for the poor sods living in Nagasaki, sitting there reading a bunch of guys winge about the fact that Nozawa`s conditons aren`t perfect.

A more justifiable winge would be about the fact that they advertise a table top and half-pipe. They were building the t-top when I was there and pipe wasn`t finsihed.

Tomorrow's weather forecast for Iyama (read, Nozzle) has a little snowman for every time slot. That should cover up quite a lot of crusty old shite I should think. It's seriously cold in Naggers overall now.