The tiny acorn-hat alarm clock tapped out its wakeup call on a very grey and cold morning. It was 5:30 a.m. in Undertree Forest.

The light filtering dimly through the layer of snow around the knothole in the hollow stump revealed two furry balls curled comfortably into circular nests of dry grass. After a minute, one of the balls--for it was a mouse--twitched its pink nose and pipped out a mouselike sneeze.

"Heigh-ho"squeaked Crispin Fieldmouse (for that was his name), "We'd best be up and eating our brekka, if we are to meet Arthur the Hedgehog at Kandatsu Kogen this fine morning!"

"Humph...krrr... I'll just as soon catch up on my hibernation, if you don't mind... And would you please pipe down while others around you may be trying to sleep!" retorted his companion Botsford Mousely.

Botsford was always grumpy before having his morning coffee bean.

"Oh, Botsford, you silly goose, come off it! We must be up and on our way! You know how dreadfully Arthur the Hedgehog sulks when we are late. Anyway, I heard from that speckled sparrow who delivers the berries that the Velvetmunks will be there for lunch!"

"What?! What?!" said Botsford, now fully awake. "You mean Tyra and Ayumi, the chipmunk cousins?

"Yes!" replied Crispin in a thick voice, attempting to conceal with a scrap of dried leaf what appeared to be a longish pink grain of rice poking through the soft fur around his nether regions.

Taking no notice of this embarrassing development, Botsford scurried rapidly out of his nest, opened the cedar-bark cabinet and rolled out a coffee bean, which he began gnawing with gusto. "I rather fancy Tyra, but Ayumi is more my cup of tea!" he piped. "Anyway, you can have Tyra. I give her to you. I will spend the day snowboarding with Ayumi! I do so like the way she brings extra seeds and nuts in her cheek pouches..."

"Well, I shan't stand in your way if you want to bog off on your own!" retorted Crispin hotly. "Steadman Titmouse told me Tyra was secretly admiring my tail at last month's Grain Alcohol Ball... I rather expect you'lll have to find another place to nest tonight if I Tyra and I happen to come back here together..."

"Let's go!! Let's go!! Come on, let's go!" squeaked Botsford, his voice growing ever more overwrought. In a fit of excitement, he flung his half-gnawed coffee bean at Crispin's head, pulled his walnut-shell helmet out of the cabinet and picked up his bark snowboard. "I am ready!" he squealed impatiently.

Crispin, abanding all attempts to conceal his throbbing morning erection, snatched his cotton puff hat and prized Paddington Bear pea jacket (stolen off a child's toy at a picnic the summer before) from the shelf and leapt for the door.

Meanwhile, the other side of Undertree Forest, Arthur the Hedgehog was girding himself for another fine day on the slopes. "I do so look forward to these weekend frolics," he snuffled in his grey voice, "And perhaps Portia Porcupine will be there again! She is a dem fine creature, I can tell you, a dem fine creature!"

If we could have peeked into Arthur's burrow just a scant two minutes later, we might have found him hunched oddly over a bit of worm-holed wood, eyes blinking and filmy in the half-light, and using the tiny apertures in the wood to simulate the sexual act in a manner reminiscent of a flatfish scouring the ocean bottom.

However, let us leave this happy woodland scene and turn our attention to the matters er, at hand shall we say: Pray for Snow! Three of us animals have managed to shed the girlfriends/wives for a weekend, and are headed to the mountains next Saturday for a Man's day on the mountains and in the lodges!

[This message has been edited by badmigraine (edited 21 January 2002).]

yes....more...

does botsford get the chickmonk?

what's in store for Arthur the Hedgehog??

and the question of the hour, is crispin

a boarder or skier?? I mean, would a boarder

mouse ever wear a paddington bear outfit?

readers want to know...

danz

------------------

pray for snow