You're a ski tech right?

Would you mind if I ask you question re binding adjustment for new boots?

[This message has been edited by mogski (edited 22 January 2002).]

Mobi, online advice is probably the only safe way to help Mogski with his boot/binding issue.

About a week ago, I was briefly exposed to the noxious fumes that emanate from his boots.

I woke up hours later in the hospital with space-suited Hazardous Chemical Removal workers prodding me with probes.

Be careful.

It 10:30 in NZ, im going to bed soon.

So every brand of binding mogski, has a track on the heel peace, you should be able to work out how to move the heel peace along this track by using a flathead screwdriver.

Once you have the boot fitting in the binding, check the 'forward pressure' (there is a strong spring in the heel peace which pushes the toe of the boot into the toe peace of the binding). try looking for some small markings on your heel peace (most brands have a different system, but same idea) it might be some lines or a small window. When you put your boot in the binding note how the heel peace moves back slightly, this is 'forward pressure', you need to have those markings in the centre or if you have a window something should show up in the window when the heel peace moves back. If you don't have enough forward pressure your ski will fall off, if you have too much you will brake your leg!!

if there is anything you don't understand, let me know before you go skiing!!!

Mobi, Kiora! Thanks for that. You pretty much got what I was after, but let me give you the wrap anyway.

I upgraded my boots - my damn feet grew! - from Nordica Vertech 85(7 year or so old boots) boot outer sole size 320mm to a pair of Raichle Flexon Pro T boot outer sole size 326mm.

Prior to this I bought a pair of Sally PR's and Sally S912ti bindings. The bindings were mounted to the ski based on my previous boots.

Here's where the problem, or rather concern, I have came about. The sole size of the new boot naturally is too big for the binding setting. Now, I know how to adjust the heel piece back, but my concern is the distance adjustment and naturally the forward pressure.

If my memory serves me correct when I shifted the heel piece to accomodate for the size difference it went back 3 clicks on the binding rail. It may have only been 2. I am getting old. The boots fits in perfectly as far as I can see. In other words when binding is not engaged the boot heel sits on the tounge part of the heel piece ready for engagement - as was the case the other boots.

Basically my concern is that the 6mm boot outer sole difference may be too much and the bindings need remounted on the skis? And if this is not the case then will this size difference greatly affect the forward pressure setting as it was before or will this need to be adjusted?

Sorry to lay this all on you, but I really don't feel like dragging my kit all the way through central Tokyo to the shop to be told my concerns are nothing nad sent home in five.

I don't want a definitve reply, and am merely looking for the ADVICE of someone who is in the know.

If you need more info let me know.

Thanks for listening to the cry of a Kiwi and sorry to keep you up. smile.gif