Bestest Not Expensive Place at Nozzle for 2 Couples

Mogski and I plan to show our ladies a good time by setting up a 2-3 night stay in Nozawa.

Naturally we need lodging, preferably with a bath or hotspring nearby or on the premises.

We'll pretend to spend romantic, quality time with them (clearly this will require separate rooms with thicker walls), then from dawn till dusk abandon them on the slopes as we bog off on our own in search of Fun, steeps and the Floaty Stuff...

I'll be boarding of course but I heard the resort still doesn't allow boarders on Every slope...is that true? I may rent Fat Skis one day just to see if I can still do it, but that may actually never happen and if it does it will be on a day when Ocean11 isn't there to catch me and report it to you lot!

Can anyone recommend a decent place? We speak Japanese, and will travel by train from Tokyo, no car.

Recommendations or anecdotes, anyone?

I can understand your need for lodging badmigraine, but why the thicker walls? Plan on taking some horrid 80's heavy metal rock music with you and doing some head"banging"? That doesn't fit in with the nice traditional image of Nozawa then does it?

Can't help with the lodgings as I'm always a daytripper.

There is one area to the left as you face the mountain where skiers are safe to make moguls and waggle their little sticks about. But nobody in their right mind would want to go there anyway. At the top there is another skier only area, but I go down it all the time, no probs, as do many other boarders. For some reason, it doesn't have as many moggies as the 'public' area.

Have fun now y'all.

Oh, and as for thicker walls, you can order a bucket of extra mud and rice stalks that you slap on the 'walls' yourself.

mogski, for going to Nozzle from Suwa, I get up around 5 am, meet up with my pals and aim to be on the highway at Okaya by about 6. This allows for an enchilada and weewee stop in Iyama, and gets us there in time for the first lift.

I just asked a colleague who teaches skiing in his spare time about lodgings in Nozzle. He recommends a minshuku call Matabe, run by an obahan called Kubota-san. The food is very umai, it's near one of the less crowded public onsen, and it's about a 5 min walk to the moving walkway that goes straight up to the gondola. Phone is 0269 85 2190. Can't vouch for the place personally, but my source is a good bloke...

Let us all know if you go there.