Snowboarders - What are all the park toys for?

Before I start - I am new here and a COMPLETE beginner, so no laughing please smile.gif

I am interested in taking up boarding and saw some pics of a snowboard park at a resort and heard words like pipe, table top, rail etc.

Can someone explain what all these are???

smile.gif

Thanks for any help - all sounds so interesting!

ok, if no one else do it, i will try...

heard words like pipe,

pipe = half pipe. the idea is from skateboarders. it looks like an "U"

there are 2 types of halfpipes.

the "usual" ones and the monsterpipes.

the diffrence between them is that, monster pipes usually are bigger and higher.

there is also a diffrence in the shape.

the transition of monsterpipes are more in an oval shape so are the walls not so steep anymore,(fore a beginner are the y steep anyway..)the other shape looks more just like an "U".

its much "easier" to ride superpipes than usual ones...

table top,

table tops are the most common jumps in funparks.

it is a kicker with a flat (table) part behind and and a "steep" landing behind the flat.

rail etc.

rail comes from "handrail"

i think it was the winter 1993 when it didn't snowed much in the usa. so some hardcore snowboarder had to look for other things than deep pow...

it was the begining of the "new school" snowboarding. they started to try harder tricks and tried also to "bonk" (hit something with your board during a ride or a jump) and "grind" (riding on handrail) to have some fun.

you said you are beginner???

so keep your hands off from those things!!!!!!

unless you want to risk your neck...

as much as i know is on the entrance to every fun park written that you use the obstacles on your owne risk.

just keep in head that you should land allways on the steep part of the landing (otherwise you would damage your back) so don't try jumps you won't be able to land in the steep zone with your speed!

rails are even more dangerous than jumps!

beginn with verry low rails!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...