I try to get reductions - this weekend I'm off to Miyoko Suginohara as my colleague found a 2,000 yen per person coupon (covers four people) in the Shinano Mainichi newspaper. I don't mind paying full if I have to though.

Like I said, I'm new in this country of heavenly powder & invisible ski-patrols - so enlighten me:

what are these ways of not paying a full price (besides shimbun-coupons)?

(We are naturally assuming that noboby who has anything to do with any resort management reads this thread so you can bring on the best tricks) wink.gif

Go to your local winter sports shop. Should be lots of coupons there.

Also try the website of the resort your interested in. See if they have a "thanks day, special day, ladies day, family day, kids day" etc. There'll be a discount. Some resorts are cheaper on weekdays. Arai is half price (or was last season at least). At the same time, see if you can demo any gear there. It's not so common, but is well worth utilizing if its there. Why bother renting out old when you can try out new for free ?

Here's one example of a discount available one the Internet. Not Japan's best hill and even more so if you can't use the neighbouring resorts, but you can't grumble at 2000 yen.

http://www.kashimayari.net/ticket.html

I posted it early in the season, but Hirafu, Sugadaira etc. were offering six tix for 15000 bought in advance until Dec 31. Iwatake advance tix (until Dec 20) were 2900 for 4500 lift ticket plus 900 yen lunch plus onsen. Just got to keep your eyes open folks. If you can read Japanese, all the better.