Absolutely most frustrating thing about Japan resorts

...apart from the backcountry issue!

For me it has to be one of these;

--The way they close down some lifts if the resort isnt busy on a particular day (and I don't just mean because of strong winds etc)

--The 1000 yen parking that some still insist on

All the grizzly bears that they let loose

on the mountains.

I don't know a single person who hasn't lost

a friend, lover, or family member to these

deplorable creatures.

Japanese resort managers,

Please stop releasing grizzly bears on to the

mountain during peak hours. What started off

as a humorous adventure has become a danger

and a legitimate threat. Grizzly bears are

great, don't get me wrong, but at a family

resort, not a great idea to have them

running around terrorizing people.

Thanks.

Terribly overpriced food. Not all resorts are guilty, but many are. I have actually noticed more people recently taking their own food out there, which is interesting. The riders fight back!

Smoking in the cafeteria, smoking on the gerende, smoking in the rest areas. Today my clothes got so fumigated at lunchtime that whenever I wiped out in the pow, a blast of smoky air would rise up from the front of my jacket and assault my nose.

Pigs - annihilate them all.

Why can't the resorts provide a few smoke-free areas?

I can't work out the logic that because of a couple of serious injuries they decide to close off a park at Furano. Does this mean if similar injuries occur on the main course the whole ski-field gets closed? maybe it's better not to get an answer on this one.

• 3 months later...

Badly planned lift systems in some areas meaning you have to rely on sloooow short lifts to get your vertical. Straight to the top asap please.

• 1 month later...

There are a couple out there:

1. The stictness of their out of bounds policy. I think it is rediculous. With some avalanche control some incredible areas could be opened. See Arai for this one. Arai has potential to be a great area - they just need to open more terrian. If anyone has been to Squaw Valley I'm sure they would agree.

2. Have to second Ocean11 with the smoking - just way too much of it at lunch time.

The public buses that run ONLY from Yuzawa station to Naeba and other resorts along the route MAINLY ONLY FOR THE SLIDING POPULATION that charge \100 per bag on top of the bus fare!!!!!!

Now I have hear of supply and demand charges, but this one is rediculous!

• 1 month later...