Loadsa talk here of the demise of the ski resort here in Japan, and it seems obvious that ropes are most definitely to blame, and all thats required is for those damn baffoons running these places to encourage off piste skiing and the industry would be saved.

At risk of offending those riders who want to open my (and all other riders wishing to void their insurance) private powder stash to Mr general public, may I suggest three other reasons for declining numbers...

1: Recession in Japan

2: A five year spell of unpredictable conditions, ending about two years ago

3: Winter sports just aint as trendy as they used to be

Now what would be a sensible response to this situation. Consolidation, downsizing, mergers, yes. Expansion of terrain, increasing costs... er, I dont think so. Lowering ticket prices within an industry with pricing policies smacking of the most successful collusive oligopoly (not something you mess with unless you a) have the capital or efficiency to destroy the competition or B) face legal action) would not necessarily bring more skiers, just more to your resort, until, of course, the other resorts lower their prices to, leading to an overall decline in income for the resorts. Lets not forget that the biggest cost for the metropolitan masses is getting to a resort, not the lift pass.

Sorry lads 'n lasses, just a rant aimed at those 'marketing' chaps who think that anyone who doesnt agree that japanese resort managers are totally incompetent fools knows nothing about the free market. I think a bit of appreciation is required of the REAL situation facing the managers of luxury commodities during a financial crisis.

Ropes and the like has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. Well maybe about 100,000 yen of business for a resort - which is nothing.

It's the economy stupid, plain and simple. People don't spend as much on "luxury" items and pastimes anymore.

That's it.

Ever occurred to some of you guys that perhaps things are just too damn expensive in this so called recession?

I am no expert here, but if you want people to spend what do you do? The most obvious thing in my book is give them a reason to spend.

How can it be that during times of recession the prices stay the same or go up, but the salary(or the spending power of Tanaka) gets reduced?

Why do Japanese people spend up large overseas? BECAUSE IT IS CHEAPER!!! Their hard earned Yens go futher!

You know, I am glad I am not an expert becasue I don't have to make silly little b-sh!t analyses in order to give reasons to explain things to layman like myself. Ah, the bliss of ignorance...

POW(D)ER TO THE CONSUMER!!!

I'm with mogski,

miteyak, telly-oz, if you are going to do

nothing, not complain, assume that the

corporates have it all correct, and just blend in to the herd, then why the posts,

explaining your position ? if your going to

do nothing, then do nothing.

some of us want to ski/ride powder and off-

piste, and the general consensus amongst

those of us who do seems to be a simple

complaint or petition to resort managers.

either they will listen or they wont, i can

think of no reason in the world why i should

not express my views as a consumer.

maybe some of us are more ambitious and want

to shake up the industry, but you know what,

that's possible too. you get a petition with

1000 names on it and that's a big long list

of potential customers to a resort manager.

If each one of those skiers/riders were to

put their names on something that says, I'll

ride at your resort 5 times if you just get

rid of some ropes, that's 5000 tickets *

4000 yen = 20,000,000 potential yen.

certainly nothing to scoff at, and certainly

well above the added costs. now that is

purely an example, but it could work and have

genuine reprocussions, set new trends, etc.

if it doesn't work then that's fine.

we gave it our best shot. what's wrong with

a little activism ?

I wouldn't pretend to believe for a second

that ropes are the reason that sales are

declining, most japanese probably don't even

consider passing the ropes, and of course

a declining economy is the reason the

recreational skier has hung it up. but

*NEWS FLASH*

if you you run a resort and want to increase sales, here's what you do: make your resort

more attractive, more enjoyable, give it some

spin that sets it apart.

and i'm not sure i buy into the collusive

oligopoly biz just on your word. I'd believe

it if I saw some sources. In most capatalist

countries, price fixing is illegal. I don't

know about Japan.

Leave my powder neck deep and roped off, that's what I'm saying. You wanna petition, do it, dont just slag off resort managers, or people who dont agree with you. Price fixing, well what do you call practically identical lift prices throughout Japan. OK, so they probably didn't all sit around in a dark smokey room and plan it, but the reality is the same. As for the price of tickets, I believe they're comparable to Europe and Canada, even cheaper in some cases.

As for spending power, japan IS in a period of deflation, the cost of living is going down, as anyone whose been here a long time, or watches the news, will be aware of.

Barok, I believe we all have the right to free speech. I want the ropes, goddamnit! Actually, I dont mind a bit more (in yer face legitimate) access to powder, what I object to are peoples opinions being ridiculed because they contradict others.

Mogski, duck the rope, no-one's gonna get yer ticket, if they catch ya, well, ignorance is bliss

Price of lift tickets might be comparable to the US or Europe, but the value for money certainly isn't. This pretty much sums up the issue at hand. People are not happy with what they are getting for what they are paying.

As for the cost of living going down, where exactly do you live? In a box in the park down the corner????

miteyak, it looks like we're going to find out soon enough who's right and who's wrong (resorts that is).

Some places are strictly enforcing their 'on course please' rules, while others aren't at all. Word will get around. People will decide where they want to go. The economic situation will either get worse and Darwinism will begin to kick in, or it will get better and some places that don't deserve to survive may yet do so.

I question why it need cost more to have more space open. All it takes is some route markers - nothing needs grooming or any particular maintenance.

Was quite busy over in hakuba today. Goryu was very busy at one point - difficult to find a line to ride esp at the bottom. But I suppose this is one of the biggest weekends of the season.

After NY, is this the busiest???