Here we go, with 99% Japanese natives, split into:

- Families

- Young couples

- OL groups

- Young crazy dudes

Other categories? And how big are the categories? I bet you the last one is by far the smallest group.....

I don't know whether the last group is the smallest, as I think I see more of them on the slopes than I do OLs, but that last group is most certainly the group with the least amount of cash.

OLs are usually rolling in spendable money, and might go on those expensive Prince package tours, as would the young couples.

The families probably go to the big resorts, but stay in cheaper accommodations.

The young dude set often drives up in the middle of the night, sleeps in the car or a free tako-beya in the lodge, then eats cup ramen and boards all day without dropping much cash in the restaurants or shops.

Catering to that crowd of young dudes probably sells lift tickets, but not concessions etc.

It would be better for the resorts if they just installed powerful magnets under the snow on the front slopes.

These strong magnets would gradually pull down the zippers on jacket and pant pockets. Then the next tumble or fall would spill out all the money and valuables into the snow, to be lost until springtime when a couple of resort oyaji could go through a few packs of Mild Sevens while sweeping the spring grass with metal detectors and "raking" in the dough.

These "slush funds" could be used to increase profit margins or upgrade lifts and courses.

An added benefit could be that magnetism reputedly has healing properties, so nobody would complain.

All in all a very "attractive" idea.

Quote:
...but that last group (young crazy dudes) is most certainly the group with the least amount of cash.

Possibly not the most logical market to try to push then hey if they don't have spending power? Make more sense to go for the familites and as you said the OLs etc.

Don't you think?

That sure would explain why most of the runs and the general mindset seems to cater mostly to the level of the typical family or OL.

There are places and there are places. You don't find a lot of these dabblers at, say, Niseko or Hakkouda, from the sound of it.

I suppose the demographic would show that these families, OLs and couple-type day trippers or weekenders may be the cornerstone of the snowsport market here in Japan.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, yeah can see where this thread is going.

Instead of the videos that they show in the sports shops of rad dudes pulling sickening stunts, they'll be showing bucolic scenes of Papa shepherding little Kotaro between his legs down the flat run, while Mama snowploughs alongside with a fixed look of ecstacy on her face. The Olympics will drop the more hazardous sports and have a judged event that involves OLs gamboling down the slopes and falling over daintily every few yards. Points will be awarded for plausible frequency of falls, innovative obstructions, and squeakiness. Saying 'ush' and dusting down the gloves will be obligatory moves.

Once things have naturally progressed in this direction, 'lads' will stop going snowboarding and will revert to skateboards, the largest snowsports demographics can reclaim the resorts and get back to their gentle pursuits unmenaced by hormone-crazed apes on boards, and nobody will have to listen to crap about resorts' marketing mistakes on these threads. Right?