Heading off to Zao Onsen on Thurs. 2 couples but couldn't get same hotel - travel agent messed up. Anyway, got home and pressured Japanese hubbie into emailing the hotels to see if we could have dinner in each others hotel on one night (package includes meals).

He hummed and hawed and said that of course it was a stupid idea and that they wouldn't have a bar of it.

3 days later the emails came back and lo and behold, there is common sense to be had in this country. They said yes!! So now we will dine in own hotel first night, then we will have dinner the 4 of us in our friends hotel the 2nd night and the grand finale will be in our hotel.

Sorry to waffle on about something unrelated to powder but I thought this may help people in a similar situation or even just to give hope that some day, the rest of Japan may be sensible and flexible about not putting onions in my yaki-soba or corn on my pizza.

Go Sharon! That's cool. My Japanese wife is always the firts obstacle to getting service, justice, a fun time. "Don't! DON'T! You'll only cause trouble! Of course they'll say no! They won't like you anymore!"

There are flexible people in Japan. There are people who will go to real lengths to accomodate. I'm cheered by your story (this from a person who had just decided on a new house only to be told 'No Whites'. I'm going to go and lean on the estate agent now and cause some trouble...)