Interested to hear comments on here as to why the boarding contingent prefer boarding to skiing? I can't really explain it apart from "it feels good". Wondering if anyone is more articulate than poor me!

Fuku in Bandai

In a word, simplicity. The elemental harmony of human and board ... the balance of risk and reward between slide or slam.

I never fancied skiing as it looked so ungainly. Look at the pictures of people skiing that are supposed to be cool, especially jumps. Actually they look like praying mantises in flight (I guess some of you city kids have never seen that, but it's not elegant). The skis stick out or hang down at awkward angles and there seem to be poles everywhere. Contrast that with an airbourne board - a simple flying wing with a suave aeronaut attached.

It's the same on the slopes. A skier digs those poles in with a jerky rhythm, and carves with a slightly hysterical bouncy motion. But boarders swoop, with a graceful edge to edge rocking. Obviously skiing came first, but boarding shows the ineffable and benevolent hand of Evolution at work.

Even in disaster, the board holds up better than skis. Sometimes you'll see a boarder cartwheeling down a hill only to recover and proceed jubilantly down in full control again. Try doing that when one of your skis has come off and is lying on another part of the hill. The survival of the fittest I suppose.

And have I mentioned Fashion?

snowboarding is just so much easier, allowing one to carve and ride deep powder in 'only two seasons'. Unfortunately, few boarders get to realize that an even greater high can be got from the two plank slide, just not the fixed heel ride.

snowboarding and telemarking. Much better at snowboarding, but the telemarking catching up fast. Too much time on the board recently, however, teaching friends.

Telemarking, a real freedom of the mountains? I think it has the free flowing feel of snowboarding, but with a certain naturalness gained from a stance not unlike someone striding down a hill. None of the stiffness of downhill skiing.

You know the 'whooping' feeling one sometimes gets from a great powder run on a board (I'm British, it dont come easy!), when I first got that telemarking, it was so much more intense. Maybe it's the added sense of achievement, when one finally gets those two twitching, crossing, infernal planks, held to one's foot by a li''le spring, to stay together in deep powder.

Biggest reason is it's versitility, though. For backcountry telemarking's perfect.

Just a brief description, like most things, it's a feeling, hard to describe. I think telemarking and boarding are complimentary, although now I can ski in powder, conflict brewing. Of all the skier/boarders I know, most prefer boarding. The same can't be said for boarder/telemarkers.

cuz it's better in powder, and more

intense in general - you are really

strapped in to that board.

plus when i was a kid, i liked it better

cuz you didn't have to drag 4 sticks around,

just one

.. it kinda has the feel of riding a surfboard..(turning from rail to rail) but easier.. in a sense where there's no need to paddle and get up.. because you're already up and ready to go. Oh, you don't have to worry about drowning, getting eaten by sharks, or getting swallowed by the tube.

• 2 months later...
 Quote:
The elemental harmony of human and board ... the balance of risk and reward between slide or slam

Whats this about then anyone?

And with skiing more difficult, doesnt that make the rewards of being good more satisfying?

(I do neither, first season coming up)

'Od's bodkin, did I really write something as pretentious as that?

Well, the boarding stance is quite natural, hence the proliferation of board sports.

And as for sliding or slamming, on a snowboard, if you are proceeding down the hill at say 30 mph, and one of your edges catches in the snow, all of your forward motion is suddenly transformed into sideways motion. This means your body slams into the ground at 30 mph, either forwards or backwards, the wind is knocked out of you, your goggles fly off, and boy do you see stars.

But that's really just a first season thing. You get very good at recognizing the edge-catch feeling and correcting your slide before it happens.

As to your last question, the answer is 'Well I suppose so'. If you've committed yourself to the delayed satisfaction involved in skiing, then you have to congratulate yourself on having stuck it out. It's a psychological defense mechanism. The snowboarder doesn't need one. Just a helmet.

• 2 months later...