May I be permitted a short crumble about the webcams? Their credibility is very much open to question.

As a means of deciding whether to go boarding RIGHT NOW or not, they should be an invaluable resource. But a quick glance through the Nozawa cams shows it to be very very dark in places, indeed, they seem to be having a nighter at 3 pm, while down in the town it is daylight but without much snow.

The fellow luffing himself off the rail at Shirakabako has been there for weeks now and must surely be frozen in place. I'm surprised I haven't heard about his plight (and the dangers of snowboarding) on the local news.

Hakuba seems to be enjoying some sort of whiteout, while Yoketayama in Shiga has bright sunshine. But do they really? How is one to know?

To be credible, webcam images need to come with a date and timestamp, and they need to change at least every hour. They also need to be pointed at something relevant to the snowboarding experience. Otherwise there's scarcely any point in looking at them.

I'm sure SJG doesn't have much control over a lot of the webcams, but if you can exercise whatever influence you may have to make them more reliable, I for one would very much appreciate it.

Crumble crumble, crumble crumble, my God, doesn't he ever stop?!

Ocean11.

As written on the Webcam page itself, we do not have any control over the webcams.

We are supplied the images by the resorts themselves - and while we recognise that the best ones are the ones with a timestamp on them, we can't do much on that score.

Some of the resorts update their images irregularly, and so we also are not able to put a "this image is updated daily at XXam" tagline on there.

So sorry there is nothing we can do about that apart from ask them why they aren't updating some of the images.

As with many other content/technical issues you have with SJG, why don't you send a mail in to editor@skijapanguide.com and bring the problem to our attention so that we can look into it. We will be contacting the Shirakabako resort to ask them to help out the poor frozen guy.

[This message has been edited by Ski Japan Guide (edited 07 February 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Ski Japan Guide (edited 07 February 2002).]

Shut the f*** up ocean"11".

While your "crumble" is noted, I for one truly appreciate us being able to have that cam section. It's not perfect, but hey its bloody miles better than anything we have had before. That section wasn't even on SJG until a couple of months ago. You'd rather they not add stuff like that to our fave site here? Stop moaning man.

I do appreciate them! And indeed, they were a very useful guide to the actual conditions a while back. But some of them seem to have lost it a bit, and that's a shame. I just hoped there was something that could be done about it.

However, if you want to invite comment as you do, and then adopt that "Sorry to hear that you don't appreciate..." tone, and encourage the likes of "brit"-gob in his demagogy, that's fine. But your site will be the worse for it.

Pretty much all of them seem fine to me. There are just a few that are iffy. Although I don't agree with the language used by that brit-gob person, I do kinda agree with his thoughts. We should be thankful for what we got man, which is a shithot site that continually develops for uz.

Good to see that Nozawa has rejoined Japan standard time, and darkness and light correspond with night and day again.

Royal Hill seems to have pried matey off the rail, but they've replaced him with another picture postcard. Surely Webcam means something different from JPEG?

I don't mean to knock SJG, but for all the Uncle Tom gaijins who can't stand a bit of constructive criticism, if you don't point out that what's being presented as a Webcam isn't, then you may be looking at wallpaper for quite a while. cal, you're conflicted old son, even if you don't like dirty words.

I hope that Royal Hill and other places get their act together and actually have Webcams. Webcams are cool, as we all agree.