Japanese media already going mad over medal

I wanted Uemura Aiko to medal. She is just so cute!

Wish I could console her with a plate of my famous "rigatoni alla puttanesca", a hitherto-unknown but spectacular Cab Sauv from Chile, and for dessert a shot of espresso over vanilla Haagen-Dagz. I'm sure those tired legs of hers could do with some personal attention and a hot-oil massage.

badmigraine, Aiko-chan says she doesn't want to go, so if it's alright with you, I'll just pop round myself for the puttanesca and the massage.

The more I see of the mogul event, the less I understand it. The US lady heffalumps didn't look nearly so graceful as the Japanese girls (nor fast), but they did better all the same. What gives?

Nauseating ? You should have seen it last time when the Japanese commentator cried "YATTA" as the final competitor (Traa ?) failed to beat Satoya's score.

Welcome to Japanese coverage of a major sporting event ! Next is the World Cup, and the commentary will be even worse believe me ! Giving money to the Murdoch organization goes strongly against what principles I have left, but I don't think I can put up with Japanese coverage. Guys shouting "CHANSU !" just because the ball in the the final third of the pitch. If there's no time lag, Internet radio + silent TV might be an option. Has anybody tried it ?

In the case of Tae Satoya, however, I think she deserves all of this no-doubt-fleeting attention. Compared to other Japanese gold medalists, I think she's had a pretty bad rub of things. The obvious comparison is with the omnipresent (on TV if not in races) Naoko Takahashi who picks up Orders of Merit and universal praise in spite of missing the World Championships so that she can run when she feels like it. In the media, Satoya seems permanently stuck in the shadow of Aiko, who for all her looks and consistency has never finished top of the pile. When she won her gold, Satoya got slated for not taking her cap off during the presentation, as if things like that really matter. In the run up to this Olympics, most of the promotional clips have shown Shimizu, Funaki, and Aiko, not Satoya, the defending Olympic champion. It seems like she's been the forgotten girl, so I was pleased to see her get something. The standard has really improved in the last four years, especially for Satoya's weakness-the airs, so it's as much as she could have hoped for, I suppose.

Affogato - classy dessert there migraine !

Can I come too ?

• 2 weeks later...