I have Heike boots and Belligerent bindings. The latter are supposed to combine the advantages of strap-ons and step-ins. However, they involve a great deal of fiddling with to get them on, and they come undone at speed and in powder. So I removed the 'step-in' component and now I just have myself a rather inferior set of strap-on bindings.

I'm only curious about Fast because they're the only company that seems to cater to people with averagely large feet who don't live in Tokyo. The system looks pretty shoddy though, and they're bought by people who go for discounted sets. The shop clerks in Alpen lead them to the Fast boots like lambs to the shambles.

Ocean, I don't know about Fast bindings... Here is something totally irrelevant: I was interested in a stiff but quick setup earlier this season and I had a long look at Flow bindings, which seemed OK to me.

Insofar as you can find reviews on BBSs and in other Internet places, and then discount the usual 30% or so of shall we say "specially motivated posts" that say "GREAT! GREAT! THESE ARE THE BEST BINDINGS EVER!! DON'T EVEN CONSIDER ANY OTHER." or "I don't know why people even buy this trash...mine fell apart on the first day, screws came out, strap ripped in half etc. and they wouldn't do a warranty repair...and I was actually glad to throw them out because they HURT like HELL...", it seemed that the Net community judges that Flows work pretty well and give a quick in-out almost as fast and easy as a step-in.

But I ended up figuring I wanted a very stiff setup so I splurged on a pair of Salomon's stiffest strap bindings and lo and behold their toe strap is quicker than Clint Eastwood because it never really comes apart...you just kind of slide in there and ratchet it down.

The ankle strap is the same as any other though.

I screwed on a set of Palmer PowerLinks (which really work, and do exactly what the label says they do), and suddenly my board was like a razor knife on the snow...but only when I put it on edge. Otherwise, it was smooth as a Caddy, just like before.

An iron fist in a velvet glove.

And I, poorer but happy.

I see I have come very far away from Fast bindings, but there you have it. Mogski and I are off to Niseko for 7 days starting on Sunday, and we won't have Net access the entire time. I figured I better post something, anything, before absenting myself so rudely!

Have a good ride if you get up to Nozzle or Hacks this week. Full report when (if?) we come back.

Cowabunga!, and Merde!!

[This message has been edited by badmigraine (edited 16 February 2002).]

Having read what you have to say about PowerLinks, I've resolved to get some. I hear that a new version is being introduced in Tokyo this month. Which ones did you get, and how much were they, if I may ask? Also, can you find big boot sizes (US 11.5) if you actually go up to Edo? Flow certainly look OK, but then I'd still run into the problem of boots that fit. My squishy comfy Italian leather boots are becoming a real hazard. I read some reviews of Belligerent and only 1 of about 6 said they were dangerous - the rest, full of praise, must have been patent nonsense as there's no way they can work as step-ins in practice.

Nozzle seems to be promising sleet instead of a big dump, so I may take a rain check (****in' A) and go later in the week. Have a great time in Niseko (I'd go to Hakkoda if I had the choice). And Sheisse all round!

Hey Ocean

Up here making people wait on a small Net terminal, so I'll have to make this quick. Up here in Niseko, it rained/heavy wet snow and terrible visibility yesterday, today all lifts closed due to high winds!

About PowerLinks, there are 3 kinds, ranging from softer to stiffer: freestyle, regular and boardercross/carving. I have the regular ones and they are super. I just put the boardercross/carving ones on my shorter board with stiff bindings, and now it is like riding a razor knife...

I would say you should get the one that matches your riding style. It would be a mistake to try to alter or change the natural softness/stiffness characteristics of your boots and bindings by throwing a PowerLink of a different nature in there.

(I tried putting the stiff ones on my Supermodel and its flexy bindings, and it was awful...I hated it...then I put the stiff ones with my stiffest bindings and hardest-carving board, and it was like magic...)

Read the blurb on the box. They do exactly what they say they do, including the part that describes the tradeoff in stiffness for snow feel.

Have a good one!

badmigraine in Hokkaido.

Hey Ocean

Up here making people wait on a small Net terminal, so I'll have to make this quick. Up here in Niseko, it rained/heavy wet snow and terrible visibility yesterday, today all lifts closed due to high winds!

About PowerLinks, there are 3 kinds, ranging from softer to stiffer: freestyle, regular and boardercross/carving. I have the regular ones and they are super. I just put the boardercross/carving ones on my shorter board with stiff bindings, and now it is like riding a razor knife...

I would say you should get the one that matches your riding style. It would be a mistake to try to alter or change the natural softness/stiffness characteristics of your boots and bindings by throwing a PowerLink of a different nature in there.

(I tried putting the stiff ones on my Supermodel and its flexy bindings, and it was awful...I hated it...then I put the stiff ones with my stiffest bindings and hardest-carving board, and it was like magic...)

Read the blurb on the box. They do exactly what they say they do, including the part that describes the tradeoff in stiffness for snow feel.

Have a good one!

badmigraine in Hokkaido.